Dragon's Lair Fans - Arcade Lifestyle
November 19, 2017, 12:31:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ALS'/DLF' : your daily dose of Arcade Life Style...inside the Dragon's Lair!

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: :: Pilgrimage / Road Trip to the Arcade Mecca : FUNSPOT in USA ::  (Read 29523 times)
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

Well, this is a very special Road Trip / Pilgrimage... because this time, it'll happen in USA and not as I use to do in Europe... A premiere for me.
Of course I've already drove cars in US, but not for a such Road Trip... or  "Arcade Pilgrimage"

So the starting point will be the heart of New York  Cool
Because it's gonna be a huge trip, I wanted to leave as soon as possible, but the car rental agency of hiring opens only at 7 a.m.
Afters the 'papers' to sign... here we are, ready to go ... 7:30 am ... Navigation car system ready... because because of the buildings, it's a pain to localize us... It's gonna be rock'n'roll to drive in the heart of the 'Big Apple'  Grin :

Arrival time estimated at : 12:39 ...gloups  Ghost

Fortunately for us... because yes... Darth Nunette is with me (  Kiss ) ... it's early ... no to much traffic around... but we have to be careful   Cool ...I cannot compete with the cab drivers here Grin

It was not easy... but ... a least ... we are now out of New York (after maybe 40 or 50 minutes If I remember well) :

Arg! I forgot to take this photograph at the beginning of the trip Twisted  arrow

I'll have to check on the car rental contract in order to calculate the length of this RT  Roll Eyes

On the road... food everywhere ... even more food than gas station  Tongue

...driving into ...Connecticut ... Massachusetts...sounds pretty cool huh  Kiss ...

Wow Shocked... Boston very close ... the native town from the 'Kids Of Boston' ... EXTREME!!! (Nuno Bettencourt  Wink )  arrow

I'm driving since few hours now... time for a break! Oh, here's our car :

Yes... I know  Roll Eyes not very 'American style'  Roll Eyes Cheesy

In order to do like most of my road trip, let's go into...

...yes... Burger King...  Tongue ... don't blame me ... It's just to compare US Burger King vs UK ones (We don't have BK in Belgium  Ghost) :

Did you notice? Close to the BK, there is a BK 'FUN ROOM', full of arcade games.....and ... ARGH! No picture  confused

A great thing inside most of fast food restaurant ... the 'FREE REFILL' ... So like Forest Gump, I can drink as much Dr Pepper as I want  Grin  arrow

...still on the way ... Nashua town? ... I've already read something interesting to see here  Roll Eyes ... I will check that on the way back  Roll Eyes Cool  arrow

I'm a poor lonesome cowboy
I'm a long long way from home

...approaching the final destination ... Laconia  Smiley  arrow

I am very excited now  Tongue ... but it is necessary for me to remain careful. The sheriff is not too far  Roll Eyes ...

Well, the road will end soon... water ... coast ... we should arrive in a couple of minutes  Tongue

...and...

...here we are ...

...It's 1:43PM  Cool

... I cannot believe I'm here ...  Tongue  arrow

Space Ace Space Ace Space Ace

OK this point, I presume you all know this place : FUNSPOT / Amercia Classic Arcade Museum"   Wink

Funspot Family Fun Center From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funspot Family Fun Center (or simply known as Funspot) is a video arcade and self-declared "classic gaming museum" founded in 1952 by Bob Lawton, and located in the village of Weirs Beach in Laconia, New Hampshire, USA. It includes over 500 games, an indoor golf center, a 20-lane ten-pin and candlepin bowling center, cash bingo, mini-golf, a restaurant, and a tavern. Funspot was officially named the "Largest Arcade in the World" by Guinness World Records at the 10th Annual International Classic Video Game and Pinball Tournament, held from May 29 through June 1, 2008.

Integrated within Funspot is the American Classic Arcade Museum, which is the first 501(c) non-profit organization dedicated to restoring and displaying vintage coin-operated amusements. The museum celebrates the origins of the arcade industry with popular games from the past. Asteroids, Pac-Man, Centipede and a Gorgar pinball machine are just a few of the many games in the classic arcade museum. The museum also contains static displays of game history, and the walls feature many posters of vintage arcade games.

Points of interest

* Billy Mitchell played his perfect game of Pac-Man on July 3, 1999 at this location.
    * Steve Wiebe set the high score for Donkey Kong in public at this location.
    * The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters was filmed in portions at this location.
    * The high score for BurgerTime, 9,000,000 points, was set here by Brian Wagner.
    * Funspot one of only two arcades (the other being Richie Knucklez in New Jersey)[citation needed] to officially display Donkey Kong 2: Return of Jumpman, the hack of Donkey Kong, complete with Nintendo trademark on the game cabinet.

Sounds good huh?  Kiss

OK, at the entrance... the classic game wall of game :

You cannot miss THE grandmother of the video game  Kiss  arrow

Ok, let's start my furious walk into this place...no logic, just a pure random ride ... like a cat who are entering a new house for the first time...

PS : Once again... sorry for the poor quality picture ( oppps) ... just let's say it's good old fashion 80's pictures style  Roll Eyes Grin

Wow... I don't know how to visit this place... it's so HUGE  Shocked

I'm in heaven here...  Tongue

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:15:05 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »

After a nice welcome, we were guided by ...Robert Mruczek  Kiss (on the right in the following picture):

On the left, it's a Pac Man player coming for Netherlands (I do not remember his name).

Robert is very nice & smart. After chatting with him on various subjects (High Score, King of Kong, TG, ...)... he says us : 'Hold a second, I'll try to found people for you  Wink'... After a moment, he returns with the Funspot founder, Bob Lawton  Kiss  arrow

...after that he ask to Gary Vincent, co-founder of the American Classic Arcade Museum, to come and meet us  Kiss

It was a real pleasure to meet them... very kind & smart  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Ok, now it's time for me the enjoy the place... let's take some tokens...

I'm really addict about first black & white games  Kiss WOw... the original 'Sprint' is really fun to play... the car movement is so smooth ... I love it  Kiss Kiss Kiss

SUPER BUG  Kiss I own this game too, but it's not working yet... so I play it here   Kiss It really gives me the motivation to fix mine... because the game is very fun  Cool  arrow

Atari TX1... triple screen  Cool  arrow

(it's funny to play that triple screen racing game, because right now, I'm setting up a triple screen Forza III set up  Tongue)

At this point, I'm too exited to take pictures... I just want to play games  Roll Eyes ... so I give the camera to my wife and ask her to take random pictures... here's the result :

Death Race ... really fun to play... the sounds are so cool  Cool  arrow

Vector games  Kiss Kiss Kiss ...working  Kiss Kiss Kiss I'm in heaven!!!

A wonderful Night Driver  Kiss ... unfortunately not working ...  Cry

HD' ... I didn't remember how to 'enter' into this cockpit  Tongue   Grin arrow

Wooow... A Space Harrier *deluxe* ... but not working yet  Cry  arrow

One of my favorite area ... black & white games  Kiss  arrow

Kiss Kiss Kiss
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:49:26 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

Fan of TAITO games ? Here they are  Kiss  arrow

An all-famous Track & Field...

... and its 'twin sister' GYRUSS  Smiley  arrow

INDY 4... Just awesome!!! I love it  Kiss Kiss Kiss  arrow

Williams fans?  Roll Eyes Tongue

Here and there... 80's items  Kiss

The 'Pac Man' area... or the battle for an high score  Smiley  arrow

...awesome... the second player from the right on that picture recognizes me  Wink He said he check this forum from time to time for new road trip'  Cheesy Not registered here, but its pseudo is something like DKFAN or DK4Ever or something ? Anyway... it's was a nice meet  Kiss

Wow...still greats games everywhere  Shocked Tongue

Never seen a Joust cocktail 'for real'  Kiss  arrow

Hang-On ... welcome back in the 80s  Kiss

I believe it's Donald Hayes playing here :

Kiss
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:09:52 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »

The ride is not over  Tongue  arrow

Mhhh Burger Time  Kiss  arrow

Still more games... just awesome!!!

...a famous "Satan's Hollow"  Roll Eyes Cheesy  arrow

Long time ago... I used to play SUBROC on my Colecovision... and ...maybe 25 years later... I can play the real thing  Kiss  arrow

...approaching the Nintendo area?  Roll Eyes

Yes! Here's the famous Donkey Kong cabinet... the same one since the first day at Fun Spot... the one where Steve Wiebe played so much on... and so many great DK players too  Kiss  arrow

...note also the Donkey Kong II  Kiss Gorgeous isn't it  Smiley A lot of history right here  Tongue

Nintendo cabinets are ones of the best!

Let's now have a ride into the 'laser games' area  Kiss Of course... Dragon's Lair  Kiss Kiss Kiss  arrow

M.A.C.H. 3 cockpit... but unfortunately not working  Embarrassed

Hey... Spy Hunter cockpit  Kiss In order to give me motivation to fix my SH (upright) still not working  oppps, let's play this one  Wink

...same idea for S.T.U.N. Runner  Roll Eyes  arrow

...and still new more games to see... incredible  Shocked

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:23:37 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »

Few more pictures...  Tongue

More than cabinets, a lot of things to see here... for example on the wall :

Impossible to resist... let's play this Burger Time... once again  Kiss  arrow

... and this INDY 4  Kiss  arrow

TANK 2 :

Back in the days... there was very special cabinets  Kiss  arrow

Not dedicated... but at least in a Sega cabinet (but maybe it was the dedicated WB cabinet after all Roll Eyes)  arrow

Hi Score in progress.... Kill Screen coming up... just in case  Roll Eyes Grin  arrow

Cute  Smiley  arrow

In an other level... more modern games...

...DAytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss To bad I'm alone here... I need more players here  Grin  arrow

And now, take a ride with me inside this video :

[click on the picture to watch the video]

Argh... It's already time to go... The Road Trip is not over.. and there is a long way to go... I was here for only 2 - 3 hours  oppps Next time I'll take an hotel and stay at least 2 days! Because yes... this is the Arcade Mecca, without any question! A MUST SEE PLACE!!! See you very soon FUN SPOT  Kiss Kiss Kiss

A last picture, before to go  Cool  arrow

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:01:06 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »

And here's the second part of the day  Wink  arrow

Pffff... what a day isn't it  Roll Eyes Grin

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 04:00:32 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »

Heheh, great to see you took my advice Smiley

I bet you loved every second !

Since I've been there in 2006 they added over 100 cabs ! Can you believe it !?!?!?

I love that place. It's the Mecca of arcade fans !
I think it may very well be this year for a return visit !

scr33n
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

FUNSPOT !!!  Kiss Kiss Space Ace Space Ace

Fantastic, I can't wait .....

pacman pacman

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber
Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »

Heheh, great to see you took my advice Smiley

Huuuhh hmmm Wink

I cant wait for the parts to come !
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:15:59 PM by Etienne [NL] » Logged

Looking for Repro Decals ?  Visit my webstore !  arrow  http://www.easywebshop.com/arcadedecals
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »

Uhh, Bruno and I have had more contacts and quite some time before you even registered here Etienne and Funspot definitely came up more than one time Cheesy

Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

i did put a  Wink there my friend  Cool

Looking for Repro Decals ?  Visit my webstore !  arrow  http://www.easywebshop.com/arcadedecals
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »

Added more pictures  Wink

Superully
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Southern Part of Germany

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »

man, they really have EVERYTHING there! this is heaven  Kiss

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!
ckong
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »

Very nice pics Bruno, I love the sight of all those cabs. can't wait to go there myself, probably somewhere next year.
jcp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »

Oh my god, this is heaven  Kiss Kiss Kiss.
Thanks bruno for these beautiful pictures Wink (Monaco GP cockpit : insert coin or not ?)

A place to go, for sure  Space Ace.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: