Author Topic: Arcadecollection's Centipede  (Read 3562 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Arcadecollection's Centipede
« on: November 07, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
In another thread I noticed Arcadecollection's avatar, which shows his Centipede. I noticed some very interesting differences on that cab so I asked him for some pics and if it was OK to put them up here, so here we go:

I've done extensive studies on the several version of Centipedes ;). F.I. I know that there was a _very_ limited run of 25" cocktail (!) machines.

Any way, there are generally a couple of differences between the US built Centi's and the Irish one's.

The US:
- US: purple marquee background, Irish pink
- US: "dark" blue bezel and CPO, Irish bright blue
- US: bezel insects are green/blue colored (indigo ?), red on the Irish
- US: one of the Centi's antenna's on the side art goes up in a bend, Irish is shorter and bent down.
-US: line around the Centi side-art is most often yellow, sometimes pink and (reported, never seen) light blue

However, I've never seen one like Arcadecollection's machine before. I think it was Alpha1 who pointed out that this is a Bertollino Centipede, thus built in Italy.

The things I notice:
- very obvious: the T-molding. Could be retro-fitted but it's really different
- the bezel is completely different. The insects are on the sides instead on top. It looks like they did this to allow for a bigger monitor. It indeed looks to be bigger than 19". Arcadecollection mentions 22"....anyway, very interesting !
- side-art: antenna same as Irish version but it looks to be a bit bigger than the Irish/US versions. The right "beam" of the "star" on top extends to right under the right claw of the centi. On the Irish cabs that beam is a bit longer and goes further than that claw.
Also, most noticable, the mushrooms luck the pink/yellow color !

All an all a very interesting cab indeed !!! I think Arcadecollection tried sending two more pics, but those didn't come across.... ?

I'd love to know what monitor is in there and if there's any differences on the inside....

For reference, here's my Centi's side:

P.S. there's also a difference in the eye: look at how the white in the eye is drawn.....

Love these kind of detail differences. It makes you wonder how these differences came about....

P.S. 2: GREAT line-up of cabs there !!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:42:43 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Arcadecollection's Centipede
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »
Rob just send me some very interesting inside pics: The set-up is completely different, but it does have the original hardware:

Can't see the power brick though....Arcadecollection says it has a Hantarex monitor which could indicate that it is indeed from Italy....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:13:39 PM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »
Nice read. I always wonder why there are small differences in cabs for different geographic areas, while the game inside is the same. Why would someone decide to make the european Centipede a bit different from the US one. The same goes for Joust I believe, and probably for a lot other cabs also.

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »
Nice read. I always wonder why there are small differences in cabs for different geographic areas, while the game inside is the same. Why would someone decide to make the european Centipede a bit different from the US one. The same goes for Joust I believe, and probably for a lot other cabs also.

It can be as simple as the local marketing manager's ego. Wanting to leave his mark.

Having worked in the design/advertising/marketing world for years, I can tell you it's quite common :)

Colin
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator