Author Topic: Refurbishing my Centipede  (Read 40130 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Refurbishing my Centipede
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Yesterday I bought a pretty nice looking Centipede cab from Level42. I will refurbish this cab mostly during the winter months. And after a quick inspection today, I concluded that it will not take a lot of work. As with my Donkey Kong cab, I will not restore it to a new condition. That means that stains, little scratches etc. are allowed. I want the cab to be in good condition, but it will show its age.

Here is a list of work which I will do:

1.   Clean out the inside of the cab thoroughly and exchange some electrical parts (as adviced by Level42).
2.   Clean the sidepanels of the cab and get rid of as many stains as possible. The sides are covered with vinyl with a little texture, which makes cleaning a bit difficult. Does anyone know of a good cleansing liquid, available in NL?
3.   Repair the wood damages on the bottom of the frontpanel and repaint the front panel (matty black)

4.   Repairing a broken off piece at the right back bottom corner (do you follow me?) Anyone has a good procedure for that?

5.   Exchange the control panel artwork and fire button with new ones.
6.   Refurbish the trackball (new rollers and bearings and a new ball.)
7.   Exchange and add some keylocks.

That’s about it, although I might do a cap kit replacement on the monitor chassis a bit later. The monitor (which is from 1981 as a sticker proves) still shows a good picture, but I guess it could do with new capacitors. Level42 said this replacement job is a bit tricky though. Perhaps I can get someone else to do it for me.  :)

Some of you might have seen that I already did a little ‘upgrade’ on the cab. When I was at Level42 yesterday I noticed that the Centipedes don’t really have legs. This causes the bottom of the cab to damage pretty easily. Therefore, before unloading the cab, I attached two pieces of wood at the bottom of the cab.

It might not be original, but this way the bottom of the side panels are prevented better from damages. Another nice thing about this is that the cab, and thus the control panel, is a few centimeters higher, which feels better than the original height. And we all know that centimeters matter!

Next thing to do is to order some parts on the internet, so that when I start with the refurbishing in due time, I have everything available.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:41:05 PM by ckong »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Refurbishing my Centipede
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
Looking good Ckong !

Good and simple solution those pieces of "spare" wood under the cab to prevent further damage.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
why don't you use leg levelers instead of those wooden planks?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
Ckong, I will put up the list tonight....sorry, I forgot yesterday evening.

Enjoy reading your new "book" by the way :D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »

Because I don't have them in the kitchen drawer. And I don't want to drive a few weeks around with a centipede in my car until the leg levers will arrive (which I still have to order)  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »
Because I don't have them in the kitchen drawer. And I don't want to drive a few weeks around with a centipede in my car until the leg levers will arrive (which I still have to order)  ;)

good point  8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »
OK, here's the "Centipede-get-well" shopping list:

These parts are from Bob Roberts.

The plusses on ordering from Bob:

- "one stop shop" he has all the stuff needed, very important to keep shipping costs down
- The trackball rollers he sells are stainless steel. Others have "normal" steel
- he greases and breaks in all the bearings himself before shipping. In fact, the grease smells so strong, I wonder that it always comes through customs (at least for me).
- relatively cheap, also in shipping costs and uhm...customs forms ;) ;) ;)

The "minus" on ordering from Bob:
- he doesn't accept credit card or PayPal. I always PP a friend in the US and he sends him a cheque. Bob sends parts straight to me, so no detours.

I'll start with something really important, and often overlooked: I advice to replace the edge connectors.
If you want to know why, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1Bb5s8pRU

You can either replace the old pins inside the connector, but that requires a special AMP pliers. I prefer the solder type, replace the connector one wire at a time. Make sure the solderings can't short to each-other, best is to use some shrink tube.

Foe Centi, you need these two:
12/24 SE EC   $3.25
22/44 SE EC   $3.25

To fix/foolproof the AR II board: (http://www.therealbobroberts.net/ar2.jpg)

Atari A/R II-02 to -06 Repair Kit (Caps+Q2/3/8/9+R30)   $12.00
depending on state of AR-II board you MIGHT need this instead of the 12 bucks kit:
Atari A/R III Repair Kit (Caps + Q3/4/7/8)   $15.00

To fix/foolproof the Power Brick (http://www.therealbobroberts.net/atarikit.jpg):
Atari AC Power Supply Repair Kit   $23.50
or, if the fuseblock, connectors and bridge rectifier are still OK, the loose "Big Blue":
Atari "Big Blue" Capacitor    $12.50

To fix the trackball:
In most cases the casing is still OK and only needs cleaning. If it's broken somewhere get this:
Atari TB plastic housing mini or midi    $14.00 (http://www.therealbobroberts.net/tbhouse.jpg)

You will ALWAYS need this:
Atari TB kit (SS rollers & bearings) [2 1/4"]   $23.00 (http://www.therealbobroberts.net/minikit.jpg)
Atari TB 2 1/4" ball off-white     $6.00 (I THINK the original Centi ball was off-white. If your prefer something else, there are loads of colors.

I haven't come across any defective optical boards on the trackballs on my games, but if they are defective:
Atari TB optic board A052-1010/1   $16.00

Monitor (Electrohome G07):
GO7-CBO 19" Cap Kit   $5.00
If you do the cap-kit watch out ! There is one cap marked WRONGLY on the PCB. This is noted in Bob's note that comes with the kit, but I know that a lot of people "forget" to read instructions....

CPO.....mmmm, just checked www.mamemarquees.com and the Centipede CPO's seem to be gone !?!?!
I'll drop him an e-mail...

Hope I didn't forget anything....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »

Because I don't have them in the kitchen drawer.

WHAT ? O, wait, you're still fresh to the hobby....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »
CPO.....mmmm, just checked www.mamemarquees.com and the Centipede CPO's seem to be gone !?!?!
I'll drop him an e-mail...

impressive list, andré. if my centi breaks i know where to look now  ;)

regarding the overlay: it's not listed on mamemarquees anymore because it was faulty (lines and colors). we got the original file from the mamemarquees guy and are almost done with correcting the errors. once he has received our corrected version, he will be putting it up again on his shop. at least we get a free replacement for removing the mistakes!

so no need to drop him an email  8) the problem is already taken care of!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
AH ! That's good to hear ! Yes, I've seen the mistakes too (see my Centi restoration thread on BYOAC forum.)

Did you get all of them ? ;) I want a replacement too !!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »
Did you get all of them ? ;) I want a replacement too !!!!

i hope so. i will send you the edited file once its finished!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »
Erik, I found some info, the board problem is likely a bad playfield RAM.

Set the game in test-mode (with the switch in the coindoor) and power it up. Listen for beeps (the number of beeps) and report please :)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 10:43:49 PM »
Erik, I found some info, the board problem is likely a bad playfield RAM.

Set the game in test-mode (with the switch in the coindoor) and power it up. Listen for beeps (the number of beeps) and report please :)

What a coincedence, I googled today for 'Centipede board problem' and I nfound a site with exact the info you also mentioned. thanks for also searching though, and many thanks for the shoplist. I will report about the beeps tomorrow. With the beeps we can check the errorcode in the manual I believe.

@superully, great news about the CPO. The more accurate colors and design is, the better.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:45:24 PM by ckong »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:32 PM »
I just fixed the sound on RonaldReagan's PCB, indeed as expected it was the LM324, luckely I had ordered an extra last time.
I started his machine, get 7 beeps in test mode. Should be RAM at M7.
I ordered those RAMs a long time ago when I was working on my own Centipede, but it turned out that it wasn't the RAMs on that board so I think I have some of those RAMs here, let me check...

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »
well, in fact it's not vinyl, it's laminate!

Laminate? OK, probably nowhere available anymore for our purpose. Then I stick to vinyl. Do you perhaps an intenet shop where good vinyl is available. I suppose it has to be smooth, not textured like on the side panels. and not glossy of course.

We really should keep the resto of the Centi in Ckong's other thread....
Indeed, it's some kind of formica like I showed you that I have for the MC (but may end up in the SW.

Hard to find and Formica is expensive.

Rich from ThisOldGame.com sells all kinds of "Atari" vinyl, I'll drop him a mail...