Author Topic: Finally, the Belgian road-trip !  (Read 26732 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Finally, the Belgian road-trip !
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
thx for the nice pics and the roadtrip story: that asterock really rocks! i hope you'll have it up and running in no time ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
Thanks AndrĂ© for that great story  :-* :-* :-* Headline of course  ;)  :arrow:

I'm in love with your Asterock, so gorgeous  ::) :-* You're the man for repairing vector games... so this cab cannot be in better place than your game room  8)

I love your pictures in the road trip (the VW van, the Lada ... cult  :P)

Now, I'm also curious about ... that famous Rickey Sauce Zonderic Beer  :P Hope you'll bring a pack in our next meeting  ::) :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

EDIT :

:spaceace:  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »
Great work on the photoshopping Bruno, I love it ! Thanks for my first "head-line" ;)

The Zonderik beer is really very nice, and not just because it's by a good friend. No, problem I will make sure to bring some next time I visit (or even better, you visit here :) ! If you want to taste it sooner, come over to the OpenGameRoom Weekend at Evert's place next weekend: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=887.0 !

I know, it's almost all pinball, but that's great fun too ! And there will be plenty of Zonderik !

Thanks for the nice words, indeed the Asterock is something special, I hope (and have good trust) that it will be working fine in the future !

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »
 ???
so no pics of the nice lady then.
 ;)

i love that asterock with the built in ashtray, i'll definitely smoke the next time i visit ;D i know how much you guys like cigarette burns on the CP :evil: :evil: :evil:
just keeping an eye on things

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »
Nice Haul!!!!!!  3 games in one shot!!  :D   I think the Asterock is very cool & unusual!  (I've never seen one, ever)  Happy Restorations for you!  ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
That Asterock rocks!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
Did a first look over the Asterock PCB and I already found one decoupling capacitor (the small caps "around" every IC on those boards) to be physically broken (blown up maybe ?) and also the crystal is very loose. Ordered new parts for this.

There was also a small note inside the manual with various measured voltages. All looked OK, except for the 5V that was noted as 9V measured !!! Let's hope that that was with the PCB not connected (The Asterock has a self regulating power supply, much like Atari's AR-2 set-up) 9V on 5V TTL chips is NOT good....

The Power Drift plays fine but man does the cab shake when the "force feedback" is engaged. From my previous upright racer (Double Axle) I remember that the loss of tension on the springs are often causing this (like a washing machine with worn-out shock-breaks). But I'm not familiar (yet) with the Sega set-up. This "force feedback" is moving the wheel left and right, IIRC the Double Axle went up and down).
I guess I will turn it off for now....

The monitor needs a cap-kit for sure. It's not very bad, but there's some obvious "pumping" etc. going on.

I haven't even opened the SI yet....that one will need the whole deal. full artwork stencils, CPO, bezel, coin door restore, wood repairs, PCB fixed you name it.....will be last in the line I'm afraid as this is going to cost quite some money to get fully restored.

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
There was also a small note inside the manual with various measured voltages. All looked OK, except for the 5V that was noted as 9V measured !!! Let's hope that that was with the PCB not connected (The Asterock has a self regulating power supply, much like Atari's AR-2 set-up) 9V on 5V TTL chips is NOT good....

If you measured the +5 V voltage without any load connected, it could be perfectly normal to measure +9 V. Try putting some load to it, like a power resistor and measure again (if you don't want to risk connecting the board itself).
Bye,

Matteo

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »
You're right Matteo, I checked it myself and it was in fact a little bit low (measured on the PCB). Still no go though. Will need deeper investigation..