Author Topic: [Roadtrip] (Death) Race for Paperboy  (Read 23743 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] (Death) Race for Paperboy
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
introduction: i was some kind of photo-lazy during the following roadtrip, therefore i didn't take a lot of pictures!  :(

only one week after i had GONE APE, i'm back on the road again - obviously i'm still not ape enough :P. when i visited stefan's world of arcade a couple of weeks ago, there was a very rough paperboy standing around, but the asking price was too steep (400 euros :shock:). i was lucky though, because stefan put the game up on ebay and somehow not a lot of people seemed to be interested in it ...

in addition, there was also a very rare death race cabinet waiting, so i couldn't resist - the road was waiting for me ... again!

in order to pick up more than one game, i have reserved a one-way trailer near stefan's place. i've set the trailer pickup for 9 o'clock, which once again means getting up damn early!

have i said EARLY??? btw, i love :-* that picture!

the gas station where the rental trailer is waiting for me

contact established!

45 minutes later, i arrive in stefan's hometown

here's how stefan's place looked more than one month ago ...

... and this is the current view. where have all those asteroids gone?

ah, here they are, neatly arranged in one straight row  8)

i had planned on getting some more cabs from stefan this time (e.g. another white DK cab for DK jr.), but the trailer's measurements listed on the internet are wrong :evil:, so i can't fit more games into the trailer without making it instable. i must have a serious conversation with the trailer company about that!

and of course i won't pass on the death race this time - you guys literally talked me into getting it :D and have a look at that strange coincidence: the sideart of the cabinet is the same as the picture on my t-shirt. someone call mulder and scully, please  :twisted:

getting the death race into my car is a close call! we have to unscrew some parts of the car's interior panelling to make it fit PLUS use some serious manpower. but in the end, victory is ours!

i'm in a hurry to get home, because i have an important appointment in the evening - so i'm (death) racing towards my hometown without taking any more pictures during the trip!

until i have to return the trailer, it's being parked in patrik's shed!

after a lot of struggling, pushing and moaning from our parts, the DR is giving up and agrees on "leaving" the car

and here it is in temporary storage (with the marquee removed) - this is going to be one hell of a restoration project! i won't be starting work on this until the reproductions are available (which should hopefully be before this year is over)!

i almost forgot:

one country, four counties, 940 kilometers, 13 hours 42 minutes on the road - this roadtrip is OFFICIALLY OVER!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:55:20 AM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

logan

• View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] (Death) Race for Paperboy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »
nice one!

Want to have on of those Astroids! :)  :roll: :roll:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
That Paperboy looks very nice, and what a great price. I remember this auction, but didn't know it went for that petty cash. Far out! (which game?)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
I praise your courage. Death Race. I clearly remember playing it, but I was a kid, I didn't even know the titles of games I played then. I just thought it was fun to squash those "zombies" with my car !!!!

This is one of the rare games that I haven't played since........31 years or so.....

JG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »
WTF?

Did you not see what the seller had? Why did you not end up with 10 or more games?

I'm dissapointed.. There where clearly more games to pick up...

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »
great ully!
everything can fit in your opel!!! ;D ;D
a damn shame with the width of the trailer!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
WTF?
Did you not see what the seller had? Why did you not end up with 10 or more games?
I'm dissapointed.. There where clearly more games to pick up...

don't be disappointed, be happy - i wanted to leave some stuff for you to pickup  ;)

in all seriousness: i've already said that the measurements of the trailer were different than the ones stated on the internet, otherwise i would have at least taken one more DK (well, we already had it in my car, but then the PB and the DR wouldn't fit in the trailer  :'(). i wanted to take the spare gauntlet with me because of the joysticks and some additional spare parts, but it was located in the middle of an indiana jones-que warehouse (no pics of that, didn't bring my camera) and it would have been impossible to get it out. i might have taken a german phoenix to scan the sidearts, but the cab was damaged that much, i decided against it.

the only thing i could have taken was an asteroids, but (a) stefan still has a lot of them (b) i don't want to spend the money on asteroids right now, i need it for restoration purposes  ;) (c) asteroids is not a rare cab, it shows up every now and then on ebay!

which games would YOU have picked up?

btw, don't worry, i might return to stefan soon though, there was something else waiting in that IJ warehouse i can't get my mind off ...  ;D but i only found out about it when i was back home!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »
The funny thing is that when there's a row of Asteroids cabs that automatically lowers the price right ?

You'r not afraid of vectors are you Ully ? :D A gameroom without a vector is no gameroom ;)

The Death Race is beyond any discussion (as a matter of fact, I think I am a little bit "guilty" that you did take it in the end, right ?:D) and the Paperboy is a STEAL for that money and I bet the price of the Asteroids are still a good deal steeper.

It's funny to see some people get "spoilt" by the number and quality of your roadtrips Ully, I think you already deserve a statue for rescuing so many classics ! Funds, space, time are still limiting factors for some of us :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
The funny thing is that when there's a row of Asteroids cabs that automatically lowers the price right ?

the problem for stefan is S-P-A-C-E - believe it or not! his place is crowded and it takes forever to get a game out which is in the back of the room. regarding the price for an asteroids: when i was there another guy picked an asteroids cab up - i think he paid 350 for it.

You'r not afraid of vectors are you Ully ? :D A gameroom without a vector is no gameroom ;)

should i be afraid  ;) i'm as bad in fixing vector games as i am in fixing the "normal" ones, so why worry?  ;D i have to get my eletronic skills up somehow - or find someone nearby who's interested in helping me out. but i agree: vectors are a blast and a gameroom without vectors is no gameroom at all.

The Death Race is beyond any discussion (as a matter of fact, I think I am a little bit "guilty" that you did take it in the end, right ?:D)

well, i'm a grown man with a mind of my own, but let's put it like this: you guys at least "encouraged" me to take it and once i have restored it i will be one happy camper  8) so no hard feelings, that game is so damn rare, i simply couldn't let it go.

It's funny to see some people get "spoilt" by the number and quality of your roadtrips Ully, I think you already deserve a statue for rescuing so many classics ! Funds, space, time are still limiting factors for some of us :)

thx andrĂ©, i'll take that virtual statue and put it on one of my cabs. looks nice! unfortunately funds are a limiting factor for me, too, otherwise i would have already imported some cabs from the states (where's my moon patrol?). space is spacious ;) at my place right now, but eventually i have to move those cabs to a better location. we'll see about that. luckily, i've got a G-R-E-A-T timetable at school this year, so time is on my side for now! i'm happy with my life at the moment  :-*

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
How many classics do you have right now??

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
awesome cabinet. That Deathrace has got some freaky Halloweenlike side-art :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
Another catch for Ully ! , good luck with the new babies  :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:41:20 PM by Etienne [NL] »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 06:02:42 PM »
Man! More I see that Exidy's Death Race... and more I love it  :-* :-* :-*
Argh... Why I didn't pick it up earlier  ::) :twisted: ... but... no... I'm really happy you got it my friend, it's on very good hands  :-*
This Death Race cab' is a MASTERPIECE item, congrat  :)
I'm not so exidy excited regarding the Paperboy... even if it's an important game in the game history, but even back in the day, I was not a big fan of it. But a good place in any arcade collection for sure...or -of course- if it's on your 'must have' list  :P ;)
Like my PacMania (coming from this seller), the side seems to be 'white painted' ?!
Back on the Pride, this one  :arrow:

has the same disease than my Galaga had ...  :arrow:

I would suggest you to do the same, I mean, you shoud keep the original side art and do local repairs...

Nice story... too bad the trail was a little bit useless for more cabs (Arrghhh Asteroids  :-*) .... but hey ... it doesn't matter because you have now ... an DEATH RACE  :o :-* :-* :-*

Thanks for sharing that story with us  :)

Of course  :arrow:

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
Hey Ully, did you know about this:

http://www.coinopspace.com/profiles/blogs/death-race-kickplates

http://www.gamestencils.com/index.php?crn=213&rn=483&action=show_detail

[edit] O well, read the thread again and it looks like you already knew about it :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:52:55 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 09:30:57 PM »
great to hear that it will be available soon. i had already stated my interest with richard from thisoldgame, but i wasn't aware of the fact that you can preorder it now. thx andrĂ©, oder has been placed  ;) man, another project coming up  :shock: