Author Topic: Laser Bridge - Status -  (Read 38210 times)

xadhoom

• View Profile
Re: Laser Bridge - Status -
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
Hi boys,
Little news from the lab.
We have the video of the "DL2 bridged to pioneer LDP".
You'll see the laserbridge working with a DL2 ( the computer versione dl2_conv, do you remember ) and pioneer LDP.
The system will be installed in the DL2 Cab I found with the help of Andrea and Igor.
In the movie the hardware we use is the laserbridge, a pc with flash disk, NTSC to RGB conversion board we have hacked from  an old acquisition hardware, a pioneer cld-2300 NTSC/PAL working at 4800baud and a keyboard.
The Laserbridge do the magic conversion from sony commands to pioneer and back.
More detail as soon as the video will be online next week.
Ciao
Xadhoom ( Alessandro Bolgia )

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 07:30:56 AM »
   "We need help and time to made the bridge conversion we need, for many games and interfacing the Pcb to the older famous games. I'm working to the DL SIDAM also to do the same, translate the philips commands to pioneer. As you know the laserbridge has 2 serail ports and also ttl-level ports so the hardware is ready to SIDAM DL and SA. I also working with Igor to hacking Roms of DL and SA SIDAM, stay tuned. For now have a look to the movie."  Xadhoom

Now the video of the proto (may2008) :

The video is also available for download right here.

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
I don't understand why focusing on DL2 which is a game that can be run via Sony LDP-1450 or LDP-3600D which can be found pretty easily on eBay. Anyway, congrats for your work, but I see there's still a lot to do. All the on-screen text display commands are not supported yet.
But, is the Pioneer CLD-2300 capable of on-screen text display ? I know the 4300D is capable, not sure about the 2300.

Matteo

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »
For sure DL2 is not so important but is what I have and I need for now. Just to let you that the project exists and is on working.
I appreciate constructive questions and ideas on the project and if someone whant to join in with hardware or software develop  no problem.
I know what you mean, yes is the software works also with 4400 with the text on screen display. Of course it'll do this but is in develop. This is the easiest thing also :-)
This is only an example of the working board, it works also with DL PCB Sidam you know I have, because of the exchange we made 1 or 2 years ago with the Strip pocker. I have no time to spend on all the projects, but because DL2 is easier for me to be finished (Cab + hardware+disc )I'll finish this project and then go on the other.
Xad

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:13 AM »
Hello!  Looks like a great project...  Am I just missing it, or did I misunderstand what yall are doing...  (sometimes I'm a little dumb LOL)  :wink:

Are you trying to make lasergames work with multiple LDP's?
 If so, Doesn't other devices like LaserAce do this?

If reliablity is an issue (eventually EVERYTHING breaks, no matter how well you care for it) and parts become scarce,  wouldn't it seem to be a great idea to use some kind of flash media with no moving parts, do a direct rip of the LD with no video compression? 

Whatcha think? 

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »
Hi don't really understand your idea ??? The project wants to enable the use of most common player such as pionner ones to be used in the place of the older ones like philips, sony or pioneer like ldv1000.
The idea to use the dvd in stead of the laserdisc is based on the professional pioneer player like dvd-v7200. Of course we need a special dvd version dat I can made. But time to do this by my own is very few.
So for now I want to keep my lasergames playing as best as possible with the ahrdware I have. I really like somebody join the project :-)

XAD

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 12:29:45 PM »
Yop Xad,

A question  :P

Let's take an example : I would like to use different laser disc players than the Pioneer ones for the Galaxian Theater :

How to start ?

- Do you need to have the rom of the game in order to decrypt the messages sent to both laser disc players ?
- Or you just 'spy' what are the messages going to the laser disc players during a game ?
- After that, I suppose you'll use a kind of conversion table ? ( A specific command for a Pioneer equal an other code/signal for a Sony laser disc player by example ?) and you code that conversion table into a chip that uses the Laser Bridge interface ?

Well, I presume is not so simple to apply, but I would like to know If I'm right  ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:32:56 PM by DarthNuno »

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »
yes you are right !
The interface take the command from the original player and translate them to the target player.
there's a king of convertion table.
But why do you want to use player different from pioneer ?
Ciao
Xad

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »
But why do you want to use player different from pioneer ?

It's just an example  :) But why is your technique when you plan to work on a new game ?

- Do you need to have the roms of the game in order to decrypt the messages sent to laser disc players ? (with a de-assembler or something ?)

- Or you just 'spy' what are the messages going to the laser disc player during a game ?

:-*

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
It is based on spy the output of the pcb's games and reading the datasheet of the players to write down the right code to translate the command of one player into another.
And of course we need to manage the assembler code of microcontrollers like z80 and 68hc11.
Xad

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 06:10:39 PM »
I'm not sure is my LD-V800 Pioneer players are working anymore  :-\ (players for GT-6)

Because the Laser Bridge doesn't really care about the game itself, would it be possible to code a generic interface who translate all orders for (by example) a Pioneer LD-V800 into a Sony LDP-3600D, or FAR FAR FAR BETTER, a computer who send directly the right video segment (and so no use laser disc player anymore = more reliable) ? Your other solution, replace the LD player by professional pioneer player like dvd-v7200 sounds great too  8)

PLease keep us updated about the interface, and congratulation for the work done until now  :-*