Author Topic: :: Workshop :: 'Space Invaders' will kill humans again very soon! (like in '78)  (Read 18559 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Following this Road Trip  :arrow:

I'm tired to see that 'empty box' inside my game room  :evil:  :arrow:

Full of dust... empty ... damaged...  :'(  ... man, this pride from '78 deserves to be played again by a new generation of players... but also... BY ME!!! Believe me, I can hear every days in my subconscious its typical 'low bass' sound : BEEEP ... BEEP ... BEEP  ;D

Ok I can already play the game on my Space Invaders *deluxe* 'cocktail' table, but this upright is THE cabinet I used to play loooong time ago, so...

First, let's check the identity of this cabinet...

Number 8531, built for France... same serial number carved on the wood  :arrow:

As I said previously, I got that cabinet empty (most of the 'non working/untested' parts are given to Zebass') :

OK, now the first thing to do is... to remove the dust and clean everything. Of course, I'll have to remove all the parts for a good cleaning. Let's start to remove the 'blue sky / stars' background heavy sheet. You can see its back side :arrow:

... just few staples to carefully remove, and there it is... not too bad condition, but very dirt ... normal, for a 30 years old piece of sheet...

"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

OK, here's the moon  :arrow:

Dirt, but in very good condition  :)  :arrow:

Behind the moon, the support for the famous 'black light' tube  :arrow:

8)

jcp

• View Profile
Such a classic  :-* : I recently played it, it's a timeless game with a very particuliar video aspect.
Keep the right way Nuno and good restoration  ;).

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
YESSSS!!!!! Another great restoration to follow with great interest   :-* :-*

We are all with you go Bruno go  :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
yeah! - looking forward to this!
i have a SI myself, but it is in an even worse condition than yours, but it works....

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
good luck with this restoration bruno! I'll follow this with enormous interest  :twisted:
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

aganim

• View Profile
Hurry to the see the result

Good luck ;)

Search Nintendo arcade cabinet ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
í cannot stay behind, and will folow the progress too with interest

Goodluck with this wonderfull game (and its restauration ofcourse !)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
It's a costly restore for sure ! Not sure what you will be doing, but if you go with the full artwork kit from ThisOldgame, it's not exactly cheap.

But it sure desevers it !

May I give one suggestion ? Move the SI to the Red/Orange gameroom. Now, the blue of the cab makes it blend into the blue background too much, where the orange/red color would be an awesome contrast. Just a minor detail of course. Following this for sure ! Good luck and may the fo.....oh wait that's another space game :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Thanks for your to all of you for your morale support  :oops:

... if you go with the full artwork kit from ThisOldgame, it's not exactly cheap.

I won't need these stencils, because the artworks are good enough for me. Only few 'paint' adjustments here and there... and it will be OK I would say.

May I give one suggestion ? Move the SI to the Red/Orange gameroom. Now, the blue of the cab makes it blend into the blue background too much, where the orange/red color would be an awesome contrast. Just a minor detail of course. Following this for sure ! Good luck and may the fo.....oh wait that's another space game :D

Games are going from/to blue <> red room <> house (REDRUM ... which movie?  ::)) every weeks  :P But at the end, yes, the SI will looks better in the Redrum  :)

Back to work.

In order to remove the front bezel, just move this  :arrow:

...into this position :

The front bezel is also ... the marquee  :) See the lamps  :arrow:

Now let's remove the monitor's bezel...

...attached with few staples...

...to carefully remove like this :

It's just a simple piece of heavy paper, or I would say a piece of light paperboard...

OK, now let's remove the monitor... first the chassis/electronics... only two screws...

Since I got my tools box from USA, I'm an happy man... I'm not afraid anymore about screw size like '7/16'  ;D :-*  :arrow:

For information, all the screws on that cabinet seems to be US size... so all the Space Invaders for Europe have been build in USA?

OK... here's the monitor electronics parts :

I can now remove the tube  ;)  :arrow:

I carefully remove these two transparent colored sheets... because I'll use them on an other monitor.

I also remove the complete harness :

Under the power supply... French coins...

...and as you can see, a TON of dust from various era  :roll: ;D  :arrow:

The black square is 'almost' clean... the rest is dust  :oops:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:29:19 PM by DarthNuno »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
OMG, NEVER put a CRT on it's side !!!!! Your chance of breaking the neck is about 99% !!!!

Please tell me you only took out the B/W monitor because you want to clean it :S

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
OMG, NEVER put a CRT on it's side !!!!! Your chance of breaking the neck is about 99% !!!!

Please tell me you only took out the B/W monitor because you want to clean it :S

The CRT was already dead.

logan

• View Profile
Great to see the progress!  ;)

(oh and btw, great to be back! :) )

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
 :-*

Because the cabinet is really full of dust, I've to get the cabinet outside the Lair for THE cleaning job of the century  ;D  :arrow:

The best solution to get out all the shit inside  :arrow:

... now you understand why I have to do that job outside the lair  ::)

After that operation, I've used a vacuum cleaner to remove the rest of dust.

Now, let's clean the cabinet itself. Outside first.

Because there's no more leg levelers on that cab, I've to protect its base for the *water damages* ... even if there are already a lot of damages  :-\

I do like this  :arrow:

As you will see, this cabinet will need a lot of work in order to repair the bottom :

Ok, strong soap + water for cleaning the outside parts of the cab... of course, I avoid the parts already damaged by water.

I know it won't be enough to do a good cleaning, but at last, this cab will be clean enough to stay in the game room.

Let's do the same job inside...

OK, should be enough for now. Fortunately, the job is done for today... because black clouds are coming...

Quick... let's bring it back inside the Lair  :P

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
Now, I hate to 'bump' an old thread but I want to know what happened
- BLANK -

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Now, I hate to 'bump' an old thread but I want to know what happened

Well, no progress so far on that one since... :oops:
As you know (or not), I spent the very little free time I had to built the V3, and all that 'Galaxian3 Theater 6 stuff'...during these two last years.  :P
I hope to go back on 'regular' work like this cabinet very soon  ;)