Author Topic: how to ... WIRE AN ON / OFF SWITCH???  (Read 17197 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: how to ... WIRE AN ON / OFF SWITCH???
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
Also a note on grounding..

Only devices that are marked with the double isolation sign are alowed to be connected without ground :

I get a lot of times the question from customers and friends;

"the pc works fine on a non grounded socket, why i need to use a grounded outlet ?"

i can only say, try your pc on a non grounded socket, take your voltmeter and measure between the metal of the case and some ground point (like your central heater, or waterpipes)

you will be surprised about the voltage you read....  
ok, the current is low, but you can feel the shock if you touch both

and thats just when its operating in the way it should...
Imagine what happens if there is a loose wire making a short and you are the "conductor" between the device and ground....

Wel.....strictly spoken........in Dutch homes, if there are ungrounded wall-outlets, they are protected by a earth-leak protector. At least if you live in a relatively recent home. Grounded outlets are normally only present in wet areas like bathroom, kitchen etc.
Or of course for dedicated connections to washing machines (ah, there it is again ;)).

So.....for safety, there is no real reason for grounding a PC if you put it in your living room. But you are correct that some "stray" voltages can occur....

Pffeeeehhhhwwww, how much is there to wright about a double pole-single throw switch ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:07:00 AM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: how to ... WIRE AN ON / OFF SWITCH???
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 06:39:47 AM »
All for learning purposes  :D

for the dutchies: "ter leering ende vermaeck"  ;D