Author Topic: how to ... PAINT A CARDBOARD BEZEL???  (Read 9299 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
how to ... PAINT A CARDBOARD BEZEL???
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »
another "how to" topic - here we go:

My Missile Command cardboard bezel is pretty beat up, that's why I want to repaint it to cover all those "anomalies". However, I'm not sure what kind of paint to use because - after all - this is cardboard, and not wood. My fear is that using the wrong paint might damage the cardboard even more. The cardboard is coated on one side (glossy), so I'm not even sure where it will "absorb" the color (does it stick to the cardboard?). So here's my question:

What kind of paint would you use / recommend for painting a cardboard bezel?

Thx a lot for all the help you can provide!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: how to ... PAINT A CARDBOARD BEZEL???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »
HI Superully,

Do you have a picture of your cardboard bezel ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
yes I do, but no webspace to upload the picture - and I don't want to create a flickr account. why is it not possible to upload pictures directly from my harddisk?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »
Tried it too om my SW cockpit cardboard bezel. The black parts were bad here and there. I think I used a simple artists' kind of paint. It's not perfect, but as long as it's black it will work in the dark setting of the bezel. I don't know how a MC (upright I presume ?) cardboard looks. On the cabaret it's simply black, so cutting a new one out of black cardboard is the easiest on that one.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
OK, got the picture from Superully  ;)  :arrow:

Well, I wouldn't repaint all your bezel.

I've corrected a similar one, see the Time Pilot Workshop, but in short, see the pictures  :arrow:

This is a bezel for which game by the way ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
time pilot?  ;)

thx for putting up the pictures, bruno. i've already thought about cutting a new cardboard bezel, however:
(1) i haven't been able to find the same glossy cardboard
(2) it would not be original - and that's more important to me than absolute perfection

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »
Is the glass/plexi tinted on a MC upright ? It is on the cabaret, and such small imperfections are invisible because of that. (Also, the cabaret really has a "hood" that protects the screen from any light from the surroundings.)

I usually want to stick to original too, but sometimes....... f.i. I totally hate the brown/bronze colored plexi's that Atari used a lot.
I replaced the original (that was full of cigarette burns) with a "grey" or colorless tinted plexi. This means that the colors of the CRT are the true colors, not the brown tinted one's.

Anyway, getting carried away here. I wish I had a full-size MC :D

I've used the marker pen method too, also only when it's not too visible (maybe that's how I did the SW bezel.....if only I'd remember :) ).

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »
yes I do, but no webspace to upload the picture - and I don't want to create a flickr account. why is it not possible to upload pictures directly from my harddisk?

Hello,  Just a note, Photobucket.com  is sooooo much way better & easier to use for posting!  and it's FREE!  (it's what I use)

Also, Bruno's idea works great for fixing those bezel creases!  It's almost impossible to make them "totally perfect" if they're damaged without making yourself another.  Member Scr33n has made one on his own for his Scratch Built Pac Man!  Check out his post for an example!

Best of luck on your projects, and Welcome here!   Barry  Sonic 1992

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:35:57 AM »
thx a lot, it's great to be here, you're a nice bunch of people.
i've used bruno's marker pen method and it looks fine to me now. the crack is still a crack however, but it's still an original bezel - and that's what matters more. btw, the plexi from the MC upright is NOT tinted, that's why I wanted the imperfections of the bezel to be gone.