Author Topic: Just back from a weekend Cambridge...  (Read 4779 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Just back from a weekend Cambridge...
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:47 AM »
...expected 0 arcade surprises and the weekend trip was also 0 arcade inspired but still there were a couple of nice arcade (related) things left and right...

I'll show some pics tomorrow :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Just back from a weekend Cambridge...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
So....we flew friday late afternoon from Eindhoven airport. The first (IMHO AMAZING) arcade surprise was in the departure area (behind the customs regretfully, so you can't just walk up there and play):

A nice Shrek, it was in excellent working condition, only the sound was turned down VERY low....

Also: 2 euro's gave 3 games of 3 balls, quite a fair deal IMHO. Of course we played some games, gotta support those whenever possible !!! :)

Also there was the "obvious" race sit-down cab:

Not too happy with this one, it took my euro but no credit....operators should be really much more careful about that, this gives arcade machines a bad name ! :( Of course no-one was around who was responsible for the machines....

BUT a bit to the left of this machine was.......the biggest surprise IMHO:

The machine was in excellent condition, not a scratch on the sides. The CPO did have some obvious wear though. Here I got 4 credits for 1 Euro !!!

I did pretty well on Ms.Pac (of course !!!) and had a great "arcade moment" as some younger guys who were in the cue at the gate started watching me play and said "wow he's really good"....I couldn't resist mentioning that I could practice all day  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Once in cambridge we did a lot of shopping and found a nice "gadget" store. They had this in the window:

http://www.firebox.com/product/2758/Pac-Man-Alarm-Clock, video here: http://www.firebox.com/product/2758/Pac-Man-Alarm-Clock#videos_h

I was tempted (it was 15 with 25% off) but I didn't really like the build quality and the simple LCD display was a bit of a let-down. All in all I decided not to get it.

But, they also had 2 nice Atari mugs. Regretfully not the green arcade version but they did have the red one (with the huge Fuji logo) and the black one with the 6-switch 2600. Decided to buy 2. One for me, one for my friend who was with us because it had a bit of a symbolic value: Atari was what brought us together:
In the early days of owning my Atari 600XL there weren't that many people that I knew who also had one, but there was the SAG (The Dutch Atari club). They sent around a list of all members so you could find people in you neighborhood. He lived very close to me and I simply gave him a ring, and we've been friends ever since :) (And "shared" a lot of Atari stuff ;)

Then we also find a great shirt for my son at Marks & Spencer:

We stayed at the Travelodge near Cambridge Leisure center, and my son had long spotted that they had an "arcade" there....

So, of course we had to go up there for a short while and play some games. An all-time favorite is still air-hockey, although in this case it was supposed to be air-football....

(My son is forcing me to write that the kids beat us  :oops: :oops:)

I'll upload a video of the arcade section of the leisure center a bit later, it wasn't half-bad for today's standards or what we are used to in The Netherlands.

Never saw a Guitar Hero arcade before (notice the word Arcade is in Defender style on the marquee), a Pirate rail-shooter that is VERY similar to Let's Go Jungle (which I really like). The Pirate game has a really nice cabinet, a very elaborate decor on the backside. Wanted to play it but it refused my pound coins (although it did return it this time). There was also a Rambo and Terminator (new) videogame which I hadn't seen before.

For the rest, see the video.

So....arcades are not dead.......not yet.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:59:49 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:40:13 AM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
Looks like a nice weekend to me  :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
It was indeed, but most of it was really not arcade related....Cambridge is a really nice city and very easy to reach from Stansted airport.
If you've seen London enough, go there for a change :)

I even tried my luck at punting....very difficult, esp. upstream ! (But at least I did it :P).

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
Played the H2 Overdrive and I have to say I was disappointed.

I can't really explain it, but it just doesn't give you the feeling of sheer speed and fun as the original Hydro Thunder does.

Also, again on this game the sound was turned down WAY low.....sound is so important for games....

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
Seems like you infected your whole family with the Arcade Virus. ;D ;D ;D
I've never seen arcade machines in airport terminals, nevertheless it's the best place to earn money with them, tons of moping people there day by day waiting for their flights.
We should open DLF aracdes at the biggest airports of Europe and retire from all other boring works. ;D ;D ;D
Very nice report thanks for sharing.
That Atari mug rocks! ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
I think Stansted had a "gamling" area that had mostly gambling machine but I think I did spot at least one videogame there too...didn't check it out though (was too tired ;)).
The Shrek and Ms.Pac/Galaga combo and the racer at Eindhoven got 0 attention apart from us....but some other people probably play once in a while....else the machines would be out there fast. Guess most people prefer to play with their phone/ipad/laptop/DS these days...

What completely baffles me is that I can't find these mugs online anywhere anymore ?!?!!?

Wanted to have a look for the green one. They were made by Impact but are an official Atari product (the packaging says www.atari.com) but it's not on Atari's site anymore....
Can't even find them on e-bay !

Sigh....should have bought the red one too...

They were only UKP 4.99 with 25% off....stupid me !
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:12:43 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Mmm, the mug package also mentions this website:

http://www.igs-group.com/

Now how about that, they are located at Exeter airport (I flew there for the Arcadebarn meeting !)

Site down, never good news though I guess....I'll drop them a mail....