Author Topic: what tv to replace a galaxian monitor  (Read 3568 times)

neocps1

• View Profile
what tv to replace a galaxian monitor
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Do you know if a 51cm tv will fit or will be too big to replace a galaxian monitor (19K4500) ?

Also, the original monitor mostly works. The colours are very dark and I can hear a tick sound.
Do you know if it comes from a bad flyback or a cap kit will cure this problem ?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: what tv to replace a galaxian monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
tick sound in a monitor almost Always points to a flyback arcing.

it could be a bad flyback, and that its arcing inside, or its "leaking"  somewhere else.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
I'd try to revive that monitor....checking caps with a good ESR tester should help, if you don't have one a cap kit with good quality caps is step 1.
The dark picture could be caused by the bad flyback. Did you try to turn up the "screen" pot on the Flyback already ?

If picture is still dark after cap kit and flyback check/replacement it could be that the tube needs rejuvenation.

51cm TV will fit BUT the one I had in my Galaxian for a while showed slight sync problems on the top of the screen.

ajhippel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
I'd try to revive that monitor....checking caps with a good ESR tester should help, if you don't have one a cap kit with good quality caps is step 1.
The dark picture could be caused by the bad flyback. Did you try to turn up the "screen" pot on the Flyback already ?

If picture is still dark after cap kit and flyback check/replacement it could be that the tube needs rejuvenation.

51cm TV will fit BUT the one I had in my Galaxian for a while showed slight sync problems on the top of the screen.

+1

for the dark colors: you can also try to turn up the vr201 (Black level) of the Interface board
there is too much butter on those trays

neocps1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
Thank for your help !

Here is the situation. I don't know how long this monitor has not been powered on.

When I first powered it, the picture was missing blue, and red was very light.

I then ajusted the red and blue pots and got the colors back.

I left it running for, say, 45 minutes, and when I looked at the monitor, the picture was very dark.

I switched it off and on again, but could not get the picture I had before.

This morning, same situation, but with a clicking sound. Also, each time there is a click, it seems to affect the picture geometry.

So, I don't think a cap kit would help, but most likely the flyback is going bad.

Anyway, If you can tell me where to find a replacement flyback for the 19K4500 chassis, I will try to replace it and cap kit it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:46:31 PM by neocps1 »