Author Topic: The Quest for Stargate…  (Read 10467 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: The Quest for Stargate…
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
Welcome Swedish friends !

I wonder what is "Super" about that Super Galaxians. Speed-up hack ? The little extra boards might indicate that...
Still I do think this was licensed as the label mentions Namco and I am pretty sure that artwork mentions Namco too...

Cool stuff !

AH, yeah.....I forgot that the Super Bugs had owl-eye coin doors ! I still know 3 Super Bugs for sale somewhere ;) Bit expensive to buy it just for the coin door and would be a "arcade crime" too I guess ;)

Mmmm, what size monitor does a Super bug have ? 23" I bet ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Mmmm, what size monitor does a Super bug have ? 23" I bet ?

i know a guy who still needs a 23'' monitor for an old b/w game ... 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
Why not buy 2  :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »
Because the nice old warehouse OP thinks anything with a steering wheel is worth a lot.....he asked €125 for a Super Bug IIRC the last time...

We _could_ share though Ully.... 100 for the monitor and 25 for the coin door ..... LOL !!!

Sorry for derailing this thread....let's see more Stargate resto pics and video !!! :)

By the way....we don't have any Swedish people registered for Eurocade yet....... ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
We _could_ share though Ully.... 100 for the monitor and 25 for the coin door ..... LOL !!!

make that the other way round, my friend, and we have a deal! :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
would love to come visit you someday?

No problem, I always have 'open door' for guys who really appreciate these 'things'  ;)

Wow  :o .... That QIX version is really nice and cute  :-*
First time I see a New York cab' also... very interesting  :) Thanks for all these pictures! If possible, can you publish more pictures of the New York cab?

Hey! SuperBug fans around?!  :P I'm looking for a working board... and also a working monitor for that one... if you have SuperBug 'related stuff', I'm your man!  8)

Hello everyone this is my first post here, Nice site!!

...and a warm welcome to you, Retrosteff  :)

dimmu--borgir

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
No problem, I always have 'open door' for guys who really appreciate these 'things' 

Fantastic. Been thinking more and more about this. Any hostels or cheap hotels nearby? Be prepared for a 24h/7d visit!!!  :wink: Anyway, will PM you later this year about it.

Everyone seems to like the Qix cab. I think it looks like "crap" (sorry Retrosteff) But that's only because I'm a "fully, dedicated, side-art guy". But hey, it's arcade and a great game! But if someone share the thoughts, why you like it, I could change my mind...

Retrosteff

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Darthnuno!  :D

I can take some more photos of new york, dimmu--borgir loves that game because it's a female voice saying Hit me! Hit me!

I got 4 extra boards to super bug, I dont think they work, but i can chek that and come back to you Darthnuno. I bought super bug without monitor, I dont know the orginal size. I took a Grundig television 26" and put into the cabinett, it works great!  ;D

The monitor from the television

IMG_1596 by Retrosteff, on Flickr

The monitor installed

IMG_1601 by Retrosteff, on Flickr

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Looking great!!!!
Is it a snug fit, or did you have to modify the cabinet??

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Cool you used a real B/W TV. Did you only transplant the tube or did you also use the TV chassis ?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »
I took a Grundig television 26" and put into the cabinett, it works great!  ;D

The monitor from the television

IMG_1596 by Retrosteff, on Flickr

The monitor installed

IMG_1601 by Retrosteff, on Flickr

Wow, it looks great.  :)
Does this 26" Grundig television is a B/W or color one?
I didn't check on the manual, but the original B&W video signal sent by the SuperBug board is 'recognized' via the old 'antenna' TV connector (in case you've used a B&W) TV? Please more details about this...  :P That SuperBug would deserve a dedicated topic by the way  ::)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
TV antenna inputs expect a frequency (and voltage level) that comes from an atenna. These frequencies are extremely high, because only very high frequencies can be transmitted through the air.

The very high frequency, but very low voltage signal is decoded back to the original video signal by the TV.

arcade game PCBs dont have modulators like old home video games. The home games only had those modulators because that was the only input that TVs had back in the day !!

The very old games (like Computer Space) used a TV but the guys at Nutting/Atari were smart enought to mod the TVs so the (low frequency) video signal was "directly injected" BEHIND the high-frequency demodulator.

The reason to do this is simple: picture quality is greatly reduced by (in this case) unnecessary encoding and decoding PLUS it was cheaper to omit a modulator.

Anyway, you cannot put a standard videosignal into an antenna connector.

By the way that Super Bug is missing the overlay.....the bug is supposed to be yellow :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:40:04 PM by Level42 »