Author Topic: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?  (Read 128344 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
is there another transformer in that cabinet , or are you feeding 230 volts into the 120 connector of the transformer now ?
Or maybe you can explane the "path" from the mains plug so we can trace where the problem might be ?

no other transformer! i'm feeding the 230v into a stepdown converter, from there 120v run into the transformer and a switcher!

Does that make sense? You should be connecting 120V live to each of the two 120V tabs on the primary (left) windings and neutral to the two 0V taps on the primary (left). Your monitor connects to the 0-120V tabs on the secondary (right) side.

unfortunately it doesn't make sense to me. perhaps someone could do a drawing ... :-[
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »
I LOVE THIS GAME. I even came up with lyrics to the opening song. Hers how it goes:

Why did the frog cross the road?
Did he want to go to the other side
or he wanted to die.

Nice! :) Slight de-rail, there actually are lyrics as the song was taken from a Japanese children's song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKDPKEank8&feature=related

Other songs in the game were "appropriated" from these Animes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru90p1gg1ao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fA8AkruDJs

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
no other transformer! i'm feeding the 230v into a stepdown converter, from there 120v run into the transformer and a switcher!

Ahh thanks god !  ;D i mean the big red sticker does say 120 Volts, so thats what it expects when its wired as you get it from the US.

Does that make sense? You should be connecting 120V live to each of the two 120V tabs on the primary (left) windings and neutral to the two 0V taps on the primary (left). Your monitor connects to the 0-120V tabs on the secondary (right) side.

unfortunately it doesn't make sense to me. perhaps someone could do a drawing ... :-[

I get what he tries to say, i only dont know how to explane it  :-\

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
I dont think you can measure that in voltages..  or maybe you can, because when i was young i have connected a 6 volts "bicycle" lightbulb to the audio source and the light was dimming and getting brighter on the beat  ::)
i think the best way to check that is to listen if you hear the sounds of the game, so credit and start a game, i think frogger has continue music AFAIK

i don't get anything from the speakers, but that's probably because the main pcb doesn't get enough power and therefore won't start ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
I get what he tries to say, i only dont know how to explane it  :-\

one of the problems is that i don't understand the schematics on the transformer! let's try it like this: on the left (primary?) there are five terminals, from top to bottom they are labelled as follows:

1 = 120V / 1.5A
2 = 100V
3 = 0
4 = 9.5V / 1.2A
5 = 0

on the right side (secondary) there are six terminals, from top to bottoms they are labelled as follows:

1 = 14.5V / 1.8A
2 = 0
3 = 14.5V / 0.2A
4 = 0
5 = 16.5V / 1.2A
6 = 0

the transformer also has a backside (who would have guessed? :P), do you need a picture of that as well?

i'm wondering though: since the transformer (along with the wiring harness) was pulled from a frogger cabinet, shouldn't it be wired up correctly? does the brown wire on the 120v terminal and the two pink wires on the 100v terminal (which i think was the original position of those three wires) not make any sense?

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »
OK, I have drawn a picture as best I can...
Paul.
ZZZ

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
Why does this feel like an air traffic controller that's trying to talk down a plane without a pilot ?  ;D ;D ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »
[EDIT]

hehehe, paul was faster with paint than me  ;)
anyway, its the same as i thought  ;D

[/EDIT]

I am going to try it anyway, so if i am not correct please correct me  ;)

i think what paul tries to say is that there are two primary sides that are connected both in a 120 volt setup, and has 2 secondary sides; one as isolation for the monitor, and the bottom one has a bunch op different low voltage outputs

its like there is a line in the middle of the transformer that splits it in two transformers in one block.

anyway, if this is correct it should be possible to connect it like this and then you dont need a stepdown transformer:

Why does this feel like an air traffic controller that's trying to talk down a plane without a pilot ?  ;D ;D ;D

LOL !  :spaceace:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:38:09 PM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
Why does this feel like an air traffic controller that's trying to talk down a plane without a pilot ?  ;D ;D ;D

it IS possible 8) the thing is that i don't really understand what that transformer does, why there are five terminals on the left labeled like listed above, but the schematics on the transformer itself show something different. it's like reading a language where i know the individual letters but the sum of them (the word) doesn't make sense because it's a language i don't understand. i'm more confused now than ever ... damn! and you guys are trying so hard!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »
aren't those labels on the left and on the right side of the transformer (120V and 14.5V) for the individual terminals on the left and on the right side? i just don't understand where those schematics in the middle have to be "applied" to (if you know what i mean) ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2011, 10:42:15 PM »
Oh and one more pic of the dividing that i was assuming:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
aren't those labels on the left and on the right side of the transformer (120V and 14.5V) for the individual terminals on the left and on the right side? i just don't understand where those schematics in the middle have to be "applied" to (if you know what i mean) ...

I count 10 terminals on the left (primary side) and 11 at the right (secundary side) in the schematic sticker.
are there also an equal amount of connection terminals there ?

if so , the should match this..

(measure them to be sure)

... damn! and you guys are trying so hard!

I am touched  :'( Please don't cry Ully, we'll get you there  ;)

....the transformer also has a backside (who would have guessed? :P), do you need a picture of that as well?

Does it has terminals on the back ?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:50:03 PM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I count 10 terminals on the left (primary side) and 11 at the right (secundary side) in the schematic sticker.
are there also an equal amount of connection terminals there ?

i'm confused ???. what do you mean with "left and right side"? are you talking about the "real" left and right sides of the side where the sticker is on or do you in fact mean the back and the front side of the transformer? because on the back side there are indeed ten terminals (five on each side) and the conections look like this :arrow:

on the front side (the one which i though we would be talking about all the time, the one with the sticker) there are 11 terminals, 5 on the left and 6 on the right - like etienne suggested. so if i understood this correctly the primary side is the one you called left side (i called it back side) and the secondary side is the one you called right side (which i called front side), right?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
Mmmm, might have been handy to show that second side right away ......... :shock:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
Mmmm, might have been handy to show that second side right away ......... :shock:

i know, but i possed that question a while ago, but then paul started talking about the left and the right side after i posted the picture of the front and i thought he meant the left and the right side of the picture - which he obviously did not :P