Author Topic: new member's first post  (Read 8846 times)

Tup

• View Profile
new member's first post
« on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:32 AM »
Hi all,

I have never posted here before and was't even a member until recently, but I loved reading all the posts here for a long time. Since I didn't have anything interesting to contribute I was contented with just lurking. But that has changed.

First a bit about me: been playing arcade-games since I was about 12 yo. First one I ever played was Donkey Kong (still number one imho), followed by DK Jr, Kungfu Master and Pengo. And those are the four games I am now looking for. I also play PS3 (mostly Japanese games like Yakuza) Wii (coz of the older games you can get for that one) and PC (mostly Civilization V).
I am married and have a son who's three years old and loves the cabinet I recently bought (see below).

Two days ago I picked up my first (well, not really my first but that is a different story) cabinet. It is an original (at least I hope it is) Nintendo Donkey Kong Jr. Since I lack the skills that all you wizzards seem to have (I can change a lightbulb but that is about it when it comes to technical stuff) the cabinet I was looking for had to be in working condition and look not too beat up either and it had be an dedicated one (as I said the DK Jr isn't really the first cabinet I owned. Had a Killer Instinct mame-cab).
After looking everywhere for a long time and even considering paying a small fortune to import one from the USA (which after reading posts about that here, seemed also not the smartest thing to do) someone on a different forum offered his DK Jr for sale. I made an appointment to take a look and it was love at first sight. The cabinet is almost perfect. The seller claims that it is not restored just new t-molding and a highscore save-card added. After testing it and finding the game worked perfect I decided to buy it. He also had a Donkey Kong but unfortunately was not willing to sell it (and who can blame him!).
Brought it back home and my wife agreed to let me put it on our living room under one condition: I had to quite smoking. Which I did  ;D. Been playing with it continuesly now and have a very meager highscore of 50,000  :oops: But it is sooooo much fun. It is like being that 12-13 yo old again with my gulden (Dutch currency) in the arcade.

Attached are some pics of the cabinet (hope they work)

I hope to particpate in some of the topics here from now on and look forward to getting to know you guys!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: new member's first post
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
Welcome to this board, Tup  :)

Without counting your first KI cab, owning a Nintendo cab' as your first 'classic' is a great privilege  8) In addition, that DK Jr looks really in good condition!
Now you're a registered member, you have access to the 'hidden' business area...and see some bulk buy done here, especially the HUGE Nintendo cabinets 'group buy' that could interest you ::)
Stop smoking in exchange to own a cabinet at home? Damn' that's what I call a GREAT deal for everyone , congrats!  8)

Have fun here  :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »
welcome to the board! what a great first cabinet you got there - impressive! and the best thing you could do was give up smoking, i never understood why people did that 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »
More dutchies here, welcome !

and a original nintendo as a first cabinet ...  wel done !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »
Wow some way to start !!!

Welkom !!!

Love DK jr. That game warps me back to Rotterdam city, the Corso movie theatre in the entry hall there was a Dkjr, but probably not an original...loved it right away. Later they had a Burgertime there.

Am I mistaking or is this hobby taking off in The Netherlands so many new people, GREAT !

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
Welcome here fellow dutchman! That's one hell of a cabinet you got there, could you tell us some more about it?
Did the previous owner get it from Paul50's (like the most of us with nintendo cab's) or did he get it from somewhere else?
Quite something to see a JR in the Netherlands, I only know 2 Nederlanders who own one and your's seem to be in great condition!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:25:02 PM by gyruss »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
It's in amazing condition. There's something weird about the speaker panel though. The grille seems to be too low and  the lower edge is a bit strange looking, Maybe a factory thing....maybe it was replaced ? would like to see close up pics of it also from the inside...(how is the speaker in there)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:23:52 PM »
Am I mistaking or is this hobby taking off in The Netherlands so many new people, GREAT !

forget the dragon, DLF = Dutch Lair Forum ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
That's an amazing start, congratulations!
Now try to catch another filthy habbit so you can can quit it and thus bring another cab into the living room (you lucky you).
Welcome  :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
Wow! Welcome here and congratulations with your killer of an Nintendo cap! Looks great! - actually i wanted to buy a Nintendo cab as my first purchase, but there was no one to get when i started collecring!

And like Ully said; welkome to the Dutch Lair Fans forum!!  ;D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
... forget the dragon, DLF = Dutch Lair Forum ;D

I like that!  :D

Welcome here Tup, and wow, what a great way to start this hobby. I know exactly how you feel, my holy grail has always been a DK, and guess what, it was my first (classic) cab. Feels great, doesn't it?

By the way, I hope that you drink a lot, curse a lot, burp a lot and that you have a lot of other 'nasty' habbits, because it won't end with just one game, so it's likely that you will have to give up more!! LOL

May I ask where you live in Holland? With every new Dutchie entering the forum, I hope that he lives not too far away from me. However, until now I had no luck.  :(  I'm living between Deventer/Hengelo.

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:06:12 PM »
welcome here tup ! really nice first acquisition

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 09:22:18 PM »
May I ask where you live in Holland? With every new Dutchie entering the forum, I hope that he lives not too far away from me. However, until now I had no luck.  :(  I'm living between Deventer/Hengelo.
Nobody lives near to you. That's the whole charm about the area !  ;D ;D ;D

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
It's in amazing condition. There's something weird about the speaker panel though. The grille seems to be too low and  the lower edge is a bit strange looking, Maybe a factory thing....maybe it was replaced ? would like to see close up pics of it also from the inside...(how is the speaker in there)

Welcome and nice looking game!

The cabinets Nintendo built in the United States used MDF (and had offset T-moulding!), whereas the Japanese built cabinets used thinner plywood.  The US cabinets have some differences in the areas you mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:32:33 PM by ataritoobin »

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Made me feel right at home  :)

A bit of history on the cabinet since Gyruss asked about it: the previous owner was importing cars from the USA and had a bit of space left in the container and decided to fill it up with this cab. He is a collector of mostly pinball-machines (really old ones) but he had some nice arcade-stuff like an original DK and a nice cocktail-pacman. He doesn't play the games himself, judging by the highscores  :wink: and also he told me so, he just likes to collect original classics. After looking inside and outside and comparing the cabinet with the pics and stories found on this forum and other sites, I thought it looked pretty real. Also the seller could, in my opinion be trusted and seemed to know a lot about the cabinets himself (otherwise he woudn't be much of a collector).
But after reading Level42's remark about the speaker I got a bit scared. Could it be that it is not an original? :shock: :shock: Everything from the manual that should be there, is there. The serialnumber and plate are there. Comparing it to to pics from the net, I saw what I think might have been why Level42 sees something strange. On the pics you can see there is a white molding above the speaker, soething that is missing on my cabinet. That would explain why it looks like the speaker is lower.  And Ataritoobin is right too, it was built in the US.

Btw, I live in Breda. Saw a member from Roosendaal and one from Breda here already. Brabant is being well represented  :!:

The bulk buy sounds interesting, Darthnuno. Only problem is that, as I said, I am useless when it comes to working with my hands so the machine needs to be in good condition and from reading all the stories here, they are very hard to come by. But if there is a Donkey Kong (my holy grail too, CKong!) it really doesn't matter how bad it looks as long as it works.