Author Topic: Importing cabs from the USA  (Read 29912 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Importing cabs from the USA
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
Does someone has any experience with importing cabs from the USA. I don't mean one or two, but a container full of them. If so, is it doable if you are located in Europe?

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Importing cabs from the USA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »
everyone has thought about this at least one time I think, but has anyone even ever tried?
I dont know exactly what the costs are, but I think the whole operation will be a big hassle, because otherwise Europe would already be the home of a lot more Donkey Kong, Popeye, Q-bert etc. cabs

An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
It sure will be not easy to do, but at the moment I am in contact with a few Americans who might point me to a number of cabs. I know that I have to act really careful with this kind of deal, but it may be worth a try. I mean, who doesn't dare, doesn't win. Or, never a shot fired will always be a miss hit (or something like that). Maybe it works out, maybe not.

So if any reader, perhaps a US forum member, has some useful information, particularly with regard to locating cabs, export- and shipping procedures, feel free to spill it  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:47:05 AM by ckong »

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
can't see it being much different to japan?

best if all the cabs are at the same location or be consolidated at the same location. the seller really need to arrange on your behalf a local freight forwarder to come collect and fill in the paperwork for seafreight, it's not that difficult if it's handled locally. you need to get a copy of this paperwork for you to instruct your own forwarder to go collect on your behalf at the port in your own country.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
Not an easy task  :-\ Example right here.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
Not an easy task  :-\ Example right here.

Somehow that topic didn't scare me  8)

I know that a lot of work etc. is involved. But it could be worth it: prices of cabs in the USA have decreased dramatically the last two years (-60% and more), container shipping prices are also cut in half almost, the exchange rate is very favourable for us, and added tax (19% in NL) is calculated over a far lower value than 2 years ago.

As I said earlier, maybe it doesn't happen, but I'm still on it. The first shipping quotes I got make me laugh a bit. And I will of course travel overseas at a certain moment to take care of some things locally. And as I didn't go on holiday yet this year, this is a nice opportunity.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:51:06 PM »
Man.......if you find a Q*bert.......I'm going to kiss you !  ;D ;D ;D

Not really of course... :D

I know it can be done. Stefano from Italy just imported a container full of machines (yes, including a Q*bert, but of course he keeps that himself). I do think it's really necessary to go over there though...

Your arguments are all valid Ckong. I've also checked for a 20' container from NYC to Rotterdam about 4 years ago. It was about 1700 euro's then. That was warehouse to warehouse. Would have to do the local pick-up myself.

If you need a truck + chassis + driver to get the container from the port to your place I might be able to arrange something as I have family in that business.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 12:27:02 AM »
Thanks for the support   :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 07:21:55 AM »
my guess is that you would have to pay AT LEAST the same amount of money you're paying for the cabs for import taxes, shipping costs, etc.! i would stick to europe for now, there are still wonderful cabs out there waiting to be found (see andré's warehouse raid).
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
You don't scare easily do you .....

Nice quality in life. Could you keep me in the loop regard this ..... miss DK much, u see .......

Also a nice cocktail-table would be ace.

Anyhoo you know where to find me.

Best of luck E.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:05:50 AM by ElPancho »
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
maybe unnecessary to add, but if you are willing to give it a try, I'am in for it to sponsor you with money for a nice cab in return. But is money really the problem in this case? you have to accidentally run into a warehouse full of nice cabs with a seller who is willing to ship. Anyhow, if you try, I hope you can pull it off.

An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi guys,

This idea of mine entered the next stage. I got into contact with someone on the other side of the big pond who has experience with raids and bulk buys, and who is willing to help me.

The possibility that this will happen has increased (considerably). My goal is to get a container full of nice cabs to Europe, to The Netherlands to be precise. I aim at late 70's and early 80's cabs, vector and raster, but there could also be some nice late 80's and 90's cabs in the deal. Who knows, it's not like you walk in a groceries store and can pick whatever you want. And the cabs should be in decent and working order.

I am still not sure that it will happen, and I don't know when it will happen, but I do have a positive feeling about this.  :)

I won't keep all the cabs myself of course, the idea is to sell most of the cabs to you guys (and arcade fans on other forums). So, in which cabs would you be interested?

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:41:46 AM »
ckong, have you recently arrived to my country by steamboat and did you grew a large beard? ;D ;D I hope so
80's;
-popeye
-burgertime
-donkey kong ( & jr)
-ms pacman
-Q-Bert
-vs. the Goonies or vs. Castlevania
plus lots more I guess
90's:
-street fighter 2
-mortal kombat 1 or 2
-timecrisis stand up
-terminator 2
-the punisher

anyhow, I think if you import a lot of cabs from the USofA, I would definately be interested to buy one from you. Can also give you money in advance.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:36:09 PM by Ronald Reagan »
An Error Has Occurred!

Zorg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »
If it should be one cab:: Burgertime
but I would take the plunge for a nice Tron too

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
Ronald, I'm sorry but those cabs won't fit through the chimnee  :D Or I will have the 'beukpiet' smash it in tiny pieces. Don't worry, you will get some glue with it.