Author Topic: Record player type advice needed  (Read 29333 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Record player type advice needed
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
I found my old records last weekend like Wham, Abba, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, etc. and as I have only this old non-working record player, I'm planning to buy a classic hi-tech modell from the 80-90's.

Can you recommend me an exact type of a direct drive record player with a nice and clear sound?
I have an almost new amplifier and some good loudspeakers.
My recommended brands are Technics, Pioneer or Denon. ;)
Thanks in advance. ;)

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Re: Record player type advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:16:28 PM »
I can't really recommend any tables, but I can recommend the Audio Technica 440MLA cart/stylus.

It really handles inner groove distortion well (that phenomenon where records tend to sound noisier/distorted towards the label).

It's not perhaps as "musical" as other carts, but for the price range it's very forgiving for surface noise.

I also can't stress how important proper cart alignment is !   :)  Makes a huge difference in how good records sound.

Good luck in your search!

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
I can't really recommend any tables, but I can recommend the Audio Technica 440MLA cart/stylus.

It really handles inner groove distortion well (that phenomenon where records tend to sound noisier/distorted towards the label).

It's not perhaps as "musical" as other carts, but for the price range it's very forgiving for surface noise.

I also can't stress how important proper cart alignment is !   :)  Makes a huge difference in how good records sound.

Good luck in your search!

Also, my table is a MusicHall mmf-5, but it's belt driven and I think some Audiophiles will scoff at MusicHall stuff ;)  :lol:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
Why do you want direct drive ?

Belt drive is much better.

OK, my record player is a Technics SL-1410. That is the home version of the famous SL-1210 DJ table. It's a very good quality table. It has en Empire cartridge. The Empire cartridge is really special. It has the advantages of a moving coil pick-up but can be connected to a normal moving magnet input. The cartridge was DLF 450,- back when it was bought.

I got the player compete for free from a friend. Only thing I had to do was make some MP3's from a number of his records.

Now....of course that's a DD table.

BUT.....if now I would have to buy a new player, it would be something like the Pro-ject players:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?info=turntables&cat=turntables&lang=en

Audiophiles may look down at them, but even if you get the cheapest one, they will be MILES MILES better than somethine like Sony, Akai or all the rubbish USB players you see around these days.

So...if you want the best sound for your buck, that's a nice brand. The "trick" is that they are built in the Czech republic. So production costs are relatively low. That the Czech can build very good quality products is proven by my Skoda that I drive every day. OK, it's a Volkswagen Golf with a different look, but it's still built there and they have BETTER statistics then Volkswagen itself :)

Now, if you are not scared of buying a used deck, you could have a look at Thorens and Rega. Excellent brands but they may need some fixing up of course....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:34:37 PM by Level42 »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »
Thanks for your advises ;)
@Steven: your Musichall turntable looks great, I would like something like that, but it's a bit expensive and not available around Hungary. :-\

@André:I've heard, that the direct drive players run a bit steadier, but seems like I shouldn't believe everything. ;D
It's a good point, that if I buy a used one, maybe I will spend 3 times more for repairing in the future, and at the end it will cost the same as  a new one. ???
I found the hungarian distributor of Pro-ject palyers, they have a nice exhibition room, I will pay a visit them this week. ;)
http://www.audiocentrum.hu/  click "analóg(bakelit) lemezjátszók" option on the left side.
The cheaper types are around 250 eur, that's an acceptable price for a good quality palyer IMHO.
Btw. I also like Skoda cars, I asked my boss to buy me an Octavia Rs, but that jerk chose a rubbish Focus. ::)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »
I can only say that the turntables i used to own gave me a good satisfaction.

In that time we liked to DJ, and yes, it was like Andre discribed, The world famous Technics MK2  :spaceace:

Or SL1200 as you may know them  8)

But i need to say that i love your Radio/Turntable combi.

Why not try to fix that ? (don't know whats wrong with it ofcourse)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:28:43 PM by Etienne »

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »

How about a soundwagon? :)

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »

I found an old guy, who can repair these radios, I will take the machine him tomorrow, but please note that this modell from the 1960's has a bit different sound quality than the Technics MK2. ;D ;D ;D

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

I found an old guy, who can repair these radios, I will take the machine him tomorrow, but please note that this modell from the 1960's has a bit different sound quality than the Technics MK2. ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, that's a great looking player you have.  Just be careful if it has an old mono stylus and you're playing stereo records!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »
DD turntables are definitly what you need for DJ work. However, even if they run that 0.01% steady, it's not that important if you just want to listen to music at home.

The belt drive has the (huge) advantage that there is no mechanical coupling between the motor and the table itself. This is extremely so on the more expensive players like this:

Also, a heavy turntable will run very steady because of it's weight.

Anyway, that cheapest Pro-ject will buy you a HUGE advantage over things like this:
http://www.bol.com/nl/l/elektronica/audio-hifi-platenspelers/N/10718+1283+1285+5260+7373/index.html?promo=hifi_hp_onderwerp_Platenspelers

Each and everyone of those are complete rubbish. If you are a tiny bit serious about sound quality you avoid them like the plague...

About the price of the entry level deck Belike: not sure if that includes a cartridge. I do think the tone arm is included with that one though...

If you want to record to your computer the same company also sounds a nice hi quality device:
http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=usbbox&cat=source&lang=en

However, only if it's material you can't find around in digital form, why go that way. Analogue is best when heard....analogue :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »
Mmm, if you're going for the entry model (which is fine as a basic GOOD player for the money) the Ortofon cartridge is included. Also, there is a USB version that (also) can be connected to a computer to record stuff...should you ever need....

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 07:44:04 AM »
Mmm, if you're going for the entry model (which is fine as a basic GOOD player for the money) the Ortofon cartridge is included. Also, there is a USB version that (also) can be connected to a computer to record stuff...should you ever need....
The entry model means this one and the one you linked?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
Yup !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
Thanks André, I really appreciate your overwiev in this topic. ;D
Btw. I visited the the old guy today, he has a cool retro workshop

That Beethoven in the bottom left corner looks great, the price is 1000 eur tho :o

He will make a complete overhaul in this machine in a week, I hope he also will be able to repair the turntable part.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
I love this kind of repair shop !  :spaceace: