Author Topic: Joust to Robotron conversion  (Read 31611 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: Joust to Robotron conversion
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
hehe.. Worms... rings some bells.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 10:05:57 PM »
Filling 1 bazillion holes:

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
Bought some stuff today and began to restore the rotten wood. Also put some wheels under the cab. :)

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
Meanwhile I had painted the whole cabinet with primer two times, painted all the black parts and put the loose parts like panel, marquee, bezel, doors, locks etc. back in the cab. Now I'm waiting for the Hyundai mild silver metallic paint for the sides.

This is the progress so far:

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 03:57:54 PM »
Wooow looks great man! And you even go as far to get metallic silver paint for the sides.
Looking forward to seeing the result of that too.

Nice font on the poster in the back btw :)
(Bist du bereit)
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
 ;D

I really hope the metallic silver stuff will work, it's a two component paint, basic silver + translucent paint:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/161125480017?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Think I'll do it at the weekend + post the progress. :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
Nice !

Thwocker

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Universal Arcade Cabs
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »
This is the progress so far:

already looks like you're done!! brilliant work!   :o
Wanted: everything Universal , Stern and Gottlieb. Currently looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land and Speed Coin.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 06:39:54 AM »
Nice i think the Holtzworm love their new home  :P

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
Nice i think the Holtzworm love their new home  :P

the holzworms are in his backoven now. ;)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
Quote from: Tyrem
backoven

:lol:

Geez, can't wait to move on, tomorrow the metallic paint should arrive. I won't bore you with any more pics of the 4th, 5th and 6th priming + sanding of the sides, they all look the same but there are always one or two tiny spots that could and therefore have to be filled, then sanded and primed afterwards. Also I had to deal with some small chemical reactions where the filler underground tended to react with the primer (always use water based filler + water based primer or resin (english word for "Kunstharz"?) based filler + resin based primer, never mix between them!), but with the assistence of a friend who is a painter I now have it under control (--> isolation spray). I have never put so much work into one single cabinet but I won't stop now. Tomorrow is metallic mild silver paintin' time, I'll pray to Crom this night I don't fuck it up. :roll: :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »
Boring ?

No way !

Fuck waterbased shit....oil only ! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
 ;D

Preparations for tomorrow:

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
Ok, arcade is a really awesome hobby sometimes, but sometimes it's just not. First silver paint job (Level42 warned me :roll:), turned out pretty bad. At the beginning everything went fine (pic 3 + 4) but the second layer of translucent paint (that one obviously can hardly see while spraying) fucked the first silver layer up, because it's not possible to bring it on evenly. I don't believe it's possible to handle this stuff right, the only option I see is rolling.

Also there was not enough paint, which I realized too late when the light changed. Hope I have more luck on the second try. I defenitely won't use the translucent paint again. :(

For the record: You'll need at least 3 (better 4) cans of 400ml paint for the 2 sides.

EDIT: You'll need at least 4, better 5 cans!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:07:48 PM by Wurstkopp »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:34 PM »
Damn too bad....the first layers actually looked very tight !!

Expensive fuck up ?

It happens to all of us....the black on the Q*bert sucks too and I just sanded it down again...

I also fucked up with the el-cheap wood filler on the lock-bar holes....they just didn't stay there, I guess not enough support.

Will have to go back to bondo for the larger holes clearly but I really don't look forward to it. Bondo and I are simply not friends....

Good you post your screw-ups too, it's how we learn :)