Author Topic: Speed Freak  (Read 3453 times)

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Speed Freak
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »
My speed freak decided to die.
Z signal forst, then the spot killer on board lighted on and nothing works now.
Monitor is fully working, with my Star Hawk works fine.

Any troubleshooting guide for that board? In which case les lights on?

I usually socket some critical parts, so I could immediately made some tests:
74181s OK
2101 OK

regards,
vernimark

GrantM

• View Profile
Re: Speed Freak
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
Hello New to this forum but nice to see somebody else with a Speed Freak

I have been working on one for some years after picking up a complete but broken Vectorbeam SF. I managed to get about four hours of game play out of it after getting the ALU PCB repaired. then it broke again so sent it back some time ago to the repairer and still to this day waiting for an update. All of this has happened over a 10 year period.

Any way there are a few old repair log around which sort of help if you haven't already found then and the best thing to date is this fellow http://www.biltronix.com/cinexor.html as he seems to have replicated the repair unit that allows one to fault find the PCB. He also lists out the other links for info.

Also there is important modifications required  to the vector monitor as a failure with the cap's can cause the DAC's to get damaged these mod's are listed in some of the documentation that can be downloaded. Also the main ALU PCB is a far as I know the same for all Vectorbeam/Cinematronics more or less with from memory only slight changes to how the ROM's are placed on the PCB. 

Way way back in the past I did modify the ROM's as mine still ran the very old and rare 2504? with its daughter board  and replaced them with with two 2716's from memory by combining the two bank data into two A & B Rom code which then allowed me to replace the daughter PCB with the two chips on the ALU. Unfortunately the board still had other problems hence sending it out for what has been a 6 year adventure.

Let us know how you go with this beast of a game, Its actually  not bad to play when it works and even tho the graphics are simple it runs very smooth as the vector system works fast.

GM

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
Hi.
Testing ic by ic i think chip in h6 doesn't work (74164). I m waiting the replacement. I ll keep you updated

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:19 AM »
Ic replaced and now the game works again...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
 :spaceace: