Author Topic: What do French mean with Cheque?  (Read 1359 times)

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
What do French mean with Cheque?
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:23:31 PM »
I was on the way to buy a cool thing in France, but the lady I wanted to buy from does not trust it when I get her IBAN/BIC and tranfer her the money. She wanted me to send a cheque instead. It sounds like a thing we had here in 1995. Do the French still trade that oldfashioned?
I only know this cheque now:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: What do French mean with Cheque?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
Yep cheque's are also still in use in the US. We're lightyears ahead of the rest of the world.

I used to use Eurocheques but man that feels like it was in the time of the arcade classics (which is not really so...)

Anyway, the French woman is dumb. You cannot do anything but transfer money TO an IBAN/BIC account. It is sad that the banks did such a bad job on informing their customers, but there''s a reason for that (they didn't like that they were forced the system in the first place, cost them money). I bet she doesn't even have internet banking...

I say forget it....

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: What do French mean with Cheque?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »
Yes, I will. It's better for my wallet, and my GF :). Too bad DIY calculation for French does not work. We have say 10 banks, and standard numbering, so with a regular number you can find out a Dutch IBAN/BIC in 10 seconds. In France they have like a zillion banks. All that agricultural 300-person village banks have their own account numbering system it seems. So the IBAN calculator for France is much more difficult :). 4 fields to fill in, of which the average customer only knows 2.