Author Topic: What was your first home TV game ?  (Read 33749 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: What was your first home TV game ?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
Thanks Sascha.

Unbelievable, I found it  OMG :o

I remember when my dad came home with it, he had bought from someone who used to buy stuff in France.

From 1977, WOW. I only had a blurry memory of the controlles but when I saw the picture it was just like [click]  :)

LINK

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:53:03 PM by Luigi »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
I also saw the NES a bit as a child's machine mainly caused by games like Kirby
Nothing bad about Kirby! He (or she) was way cooler than Mario!
BTW, Kirby could not have influenced your opinion about the NES. If it did, you got to know about the NES AFTER the SNES!
Kirby is from 1993, where the NES itself was celebrating its 10th anniversary already, and the SNES was out in the wild for 2 years as well. Kirby is the perfect showcase of what the NES was capable off, with maxing out every bit of power. It has the biggest ROM, and even a little bit of RAM for game saving and pushes the limits of graphic and sound possibilities.

My son is totally into Kirby for the Wii atm  :)

I must say, we play co-op with the 3 of us and it is pretty fun to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1ntfNYSTg&feature=relmfu

I personally preffer NSMB though..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:23:47 PM by Etienne »

Laschek

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
Thanks Sascha.

Unbelievable, I found it  OMG :o

Cool!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
The very first home TV game that entered in the family house (thanks to my big brother) was a TV PONG clone, but I can't remember which model. I would say it was under the 'TANDY' label (radioshack in Europe). In addition to play PONG variants, I also remember a game when you have to set the speed of a bike running on three levels, in order to prepare a jump over something? (Does it ring a bell in your memory by any chance?)
L8ter, I played on several home systems like Videopac, Atari 2600... but my very first home TV game owned by me was the best one : CBS COLECOVISION  :-* :-* :-*

Laschek

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
I also remember a game when you have to set the speed of a bike running on three levels, in order to prepare a jump over something? (Does it ring a bell in your memory by any chance?)

Sound like Atari's Stunt Cycle, the home version of their arcade game:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9854

Or did you mean that your Pong console included such a game? If so, did it have cartridges or where all the games built-in?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:11:42 AM by Laschek »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
This one ?

http://www.pong-picture-page.de/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1176&osCsid=ohju168h17e0kao84v770ndfq7

It has a picture of a motor cycle that looks like its going to jump over a bus....

here are all the Tandy's on that site:
http://www.pong-picture-page.de/catalog/index.php?osCsid=ohju168h17e0kao84v770ndfq7&manufacturers_id=161&osCsid=ohju168h17e0kao84v770ndfq7

and Radio Shack.

Actually, Radio Shack was (is !) the name of the electronics chain store in the US and Tandy was the name of a lot of their products. The TRS-80 is probably the most famous Tandy product but they also sold audio equipment etc. etc. under that name. I remember there actually was a Radio Shack/Tandy store in the Rotterdam area back in the 80s but can't remember where it was. Then it still also sold a lot electronics parts.

In the US Radio Shack still exists but they are in the malls now and more focussed on mobile phones nav systems etc. but they still had electronic components too the last time I visited (last summer) although much less.

About the Colecovision, I remember looking at it the first time at my favorite Atari store (Telekoder in Rotterdam) when it was just released in Holland and my jaw dropped ! It was Donkey Kong of course and I thought WOW this is exactly like the arcade ! The experience was ruined by the controllers though. I still can't understand that they designed them like that. They were way too large for kids' hands with all the (rather useless) keypad and the stick was way too short, yes I was already anal about controls then :):)

I remember it had the same connector as the Atari 2600 and A8 but I don't remember if those sticks worked on the Colecovision. However, it was definitly my dream system but I knew I would never get it since we had the 2600 for such a short time then...And then I saw DK on the 600 XL .....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:15:26 AM by Level42 »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
Sound like Atari's Stunt Cycle, the home version of their arcade game:

Yes! It was that game, or a clone of it. Here's a video of the original one.
I can tell if the one we had was a good port, but I remember playing that game on the home TV game I'm talking about...

Or did you mean that your Pong console included such a game? If so, did it have cartridges or where all the games built-in?

Yes, it is. I'm 100% sure it wasn't an Atari model, but a Tandy model... no cartridge, all built-in.

This one ?
http://www.pong-picture-page.de/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1176&osCsid=ohju168h17e0kao84v770ndfq7
It has a picture of a motor cycle that looks like its going to jump over a bus....

Wow, yes! It must be that one! Well spotted André :)
Now, let's chase for that one in order to confirm!  :P

About the Colecovision, I remember looking at it the first time at my favorite Atari store (Telekoder in Rotterdam) when it was just released in Holland and my jaw dropped ! It was Donkey Kong of course and I thought WOW this is exactly like the arcade ! The experience was ruined by the controllers though. I still can't understand that they designed them like that. They were way too large for kids' hands with all the (rather useless) keypad and the stick was way too short, yes I was already anal about controls then :):)

I met for the first time the Colecovision in my local shopping center... the first game I saw on it was Cabbage Patch Kids, and then ... ZAXXON! Almost like the Arcade!  :-* :-* :-*
I agree with the controllers : they suck, but at the time, we had to do with that. I don't remember to complain to much. My friends had 2600, VideoPac or Intellevision, and the joysticks were bad also!  ;D
The keypad was useless most of the time, expect for one on my favorite games on that system : Gateway to Apshaï  :-*

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »
And sometimes the unexpected happens  ::)

I currently don't have any of them anymore..   :-\

That "ABN game" is pretty funny ! Shame you don't have it anymore.

I was at a friend today to do some computer related stuff, and when i was ready, he asked me;

Hey you like retro games uh ?
I got something for you...

And to increase the collector value, it was boxed !

once home, i filled it up with batteries and connected it to the tv, It WORKS !  :P

Almost mint condition !

Thanks Buddy !  :spaceace:

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
cool, so this was a free gift from the bank?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
I think it was a action for a while if you open a account with them you receive this thing

Later they had simular actions with CD's

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Oil-For-The-Bones/release/1100506

I think i got this cd still somewhere.
there was also a second ce, but i cant remember the name..

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
That can't be a bad CD. I mean: just look at the first track!  ;D
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

polderarcade

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »
Damn looking in the topic I feel young
First tv game here was :

Blanbek

• From Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
for me, a bike that had to jump over barrels...
each succeeds jump has a  barrels more,
This recall memories at someone?  :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
sounds like Barrel Jumping in worldgames on the C64  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg2S_buqzg4