Author Topic: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?  (Read 128575 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
Now the schematics make sense. That bottom side is what is on the LEFT on that schematic drawing. That is the primary side.
Easy.

On the top side you have all the secondary connections, which are on the right side of the schematic.

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »
Left and right side of the xformer schematic (it's electrical layout). The taps are configured with the primaries on the "front" and the secondaries on the "back". It's connected in parallel so it looks good as long as you're not feeding it 240V :)

Where does the white wire attached to the 100V tap on the left go to? I've sometimes seen this used to feed the marque lights.

When you say you had sparks everywhere, including in the neck, I've seen this once, and it was when the tube had been necked (broken). Did the monitor previously work?

Paul.
ZZZ

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »
i assumed left and right based on the "front" of the transformer, i did not know it had connectors at the back side remember  ;)

the terminal count is correct with the schematic sticker on the front, so yeah, i think the primary side is the back of the transformer..

now it getting more confusing  ???  ;D

can you check where the red and black lead go of the "back" of the transformer ?  if they go to the mains, then this is the primary side..

still should it be possible to wire it as 240 volts then, as the schematics states that possibility..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »
now that you had me confused (because of a false interpretation left and right) let's get back to the original question / problem: the pink / brown and blue wire on the left of the secondary side. atm, the two pink wires and the brown one are connected to the 120v terminal, the blue wire is connected to 0. the pink wires run into one AC terminal of the switcher, the blue wire is spliced up later with one wire running into the other AV switcher terminal and the other wire running to the monitor. the brown wire runs into the monitor almost directly. why "almost"? because both the blue and the brown wire are spliced up again, because they also power the lighting fixture. can you still follow me? basically, blue and brown are running on 120V (123V to be more precise), the two pink wires (which go to the switcher) were originally connected to 100V, but right now they are also connected to the 120V terminal - but now i have the problem with the fireworks on the monitor.

should i try re-attaching the pink wires to 100V (thus feeding 100V into the switcher) and only connecting the brown wire to the 120V terminal (don't think this would change anything though). or should i re-attach all three wires to 100V (thus feeding both 100V into the switcher and the monitor) and try to find the "leak" which is stealing voltages on my +5V line? i do get a neckglow when running the monitor with 100V, just no picture. could this simply because the pcb doesn't get enough "juice"?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
can you check where the red and black lead go of the "back" of the transformer ?  if they go to the mains, then this is the primary side..

they do go to mains or - to be more precise - they come from mains, right?

Where does the white wire attached to the 100V tap on the left go to? I've sometimes seen this used to feed the marque lights.

it ends in an unsued connector (there are three unused connector all in all). do you need a picture of it? the marquee lights are being fed through the blue and brown wire as stated above and work just fine!

When you say you had sparks everywhere, including in the neck, I've seen this once, and it was when the tube had been necked (broken). Did the monitor previously work?

no idea, i pulled it out of an untested cab. however, no sparks at all when powering it with 100V, but a nice neckglow! doesn't look as if it has been necked ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »
Stand-in pilot to tower: "Ah, so you mean that the BLUE part of the artificial horizon is UP ?"

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself..sorry Ully  ;D

Honestly, that is the must fucked up and confusing schematic on that transformer I've seen....

The sad thing that that monitor is probably already crashed...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:31:37 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
The sad thing that that monitor is probably already crashed...

the big question is: WHY?  i fed 123V into an electrohome, that's it. that shouldn't have ignited fireworks, should it?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »
You guys post too fast, i have yet finished my new sketch  ;D

note that the 240 sugestion is theoreticly !, i need a conformation from the other guys, since i am not sure..

thats pure expirimental  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:46:10 PM by Etienne »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:18 PM »
Doesn't make sense, actually trying to re-coup everything I don't really get what went wrong...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:49 PM »
could be a crack in the neck..

was the monitor ok before you started ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »

no idea, i pulled it out of an untested cab. however, no sparks at all when powering it with 100V, but a nice neckglow! doesn't look as if it has been necked ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2011, 08:57:44 AM »
did you tried all 3 chassis ?

maybe this one was the faulty chassis that shorted out when you applied 123 volts to it ?

in combination with the comments before about a 100 volts monitor  ???

does that make sence ?  i dont have a clue just guessing..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
did you tried all 3 chassis ?
maybe this one was the faulty chassis that shorted out when you applied 123 volts to it ?

nope, i didn't! but i did try all three chassis with the 100v setup and there were no fireworks at all. two came up with neckglow, one didn't work, that's it!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
Okay, then we can assume that the one with no neckglow in the 100 volt setup is the bad chassis.

Thats one good thing, now the rest..

are you absolutely sure there was no accidental short somewhere with the assembly of the chassis ?
i mean it doesnt make sence that it almost explodes with that less power difference

did you check it again at 100 volts setup ? or is it complete dead now ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
are you absolutely sure there was no accidental short somewhere with the assembly of the chassis ?
i mean it doesnt make sence that it almost explodes with that less power difference

i'd say i'm almost 100% positive!

did you check it again at 100 volts setup ? or is it complete dead now ?

don't know yet, i will return to the original setup this afternoon and run some tests. will report back later ...