Author Topic: Applying vinyl. How not to do it, and how to do it :D  (Read 7807 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Applying vinyl. How not to do it, and how to do it :D
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »
If anyone's interested in my ups and downs on installing the fabulous Happ vinyl on my SW cockpit, check it out here.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68094.msg1016054#msg1016054

Be sure to scroll down, there's a nice video on how to cut it....

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Applying vinyl. How not to do it, and how to do it :D
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33:43 AM »
hi andré! i've read your post and i must tell you that this vinyl looks fabulous on your cab. i'm sorry to hear though that you've had problems first when using the adhesive spray. perhaps it was a cheap can or old or ... mine worked fine, but i'm sure now that the vinyl will be tight even without the spray. the black pica vinyl seems to be a quality product!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
I couldn't agree more with you Ully, the vinyl SCREAMS quality all over. You feel it, you see it. When you apply it, it's pretty easy to take it off a bit and re-apply it. Cutting it is also a breeze. It's also thicker than the original Atari vinyl.

Yes it's more expensive than "sticky plastic" but it's worth every cent ! This really changes the cab from an old 80's machine into something that looks brand new. It's details like this that make the difference !

The glue was Pattex so German so I trust the quality is OK. It could be old though.....I think I will try and bring it back to the store, it was expensive enough ! Maybe I just selected the wrong type.

But I agree, I really feel it's not necessary at all. If you make sure the surface is well sanded and clean, it's safe to go.

I guess I might be ordering some more vinyl in the future for other cabs, I really enjoy working with it and it really improves the looks of the cab, even if it's "only" the back part.

I still have to do a good number of parts on the SW like under the marquee and the speaker board. I wonder what they used for the seat.....

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:17:57 AM by Level42 »

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:14:45 AM »
Agreed. Looks fabulous. Great job. I find vinyl tough to do.. I've attempted putting things on a number of things..

.. most notorious was my car. I bought a vinyl sticker for my rear car window. So, the guy prints me out my custom image of a kitty cat.

I was going to adhere the vinyl to the inside.. because I figured rain and snow would be bad for it. I didn't realize that he printed it backwards because it's supposed to be applied to the outside of the window.

So, I get in the back window.. I got my squeegee thing to get all the air bubbles out. It's hard to reach up into the back window and the vinyl gets caught on the seat. It starts sticking together and you can't get it unstuck. I got all pissed off and crumpled it up. lol. $30 wasted.

So, I go to buy another one. I believe the guy gave me a few dollars off since he didn't have to scan my image in. He already had it. Figure I'll give it another go. Same problem, even though I was more careful this time.

Third time I went somewhere else and asked the guy if he could attach it for me if I paid him. He says no problem. He actually informed me just how durable vinyl is. He says it will outlast my car even on the outside.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
I've the same work for the Space Ace :

...with few pictures that may help you too  ;)

Have a look right here  ;)

:spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
Waaaah, history repeating itself Bruno !

I used exactly the same glue-spray. Did it come even out of the can when you used it, or was it all more like "threads" ?

And the same conclusion. Wish I had read that thread before I started working on the vinyl :D