Author Topic: tapedeck.org  (Read 7415 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
tapedeck.org
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
Cool site, you can select the brands on the top
http://www.tapedeck.org/brand/tdk/

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: tapedeck.org
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

Low noise my ass !!

I've never liked the Compact Cassette system. It was never designed for HiFi recordings by Philips but as a memo-recorder system.

The typical problems of the system, hiss, misalligned heads on various decks, having different dolby systems (f.i. your home deck had Dolby C, but your car player only Dolby B and this made it sound really weird) etc. made me really never like the system. I preferred my reel-to-reel BITD, especially at 19cm/s it sounded great.

Anyway, that particular Philips tape is probably one of the first and worst ever made :) If I used cassettes it was always TDK, they were THE brand in Holland BITD.

The only thing I have to say for the system is that it made the Walkman possible and that it sure was a LOT better sounding than the US 8-track system.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:35:36 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
Oh and the site is pretty cool and totally crazy to have all those various brand and types on there ! Nice link  ;D ;D

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
Nice link, thanks!

I used TDK or Maxell. Never used any Dolby though, for some reason I've always been a fan of the noisy, gritty sound that cassettes made - wether it was on my Walkman or on my stereo set.
For that same reason I have always liked vinyl as well - I LOVE all those little soft cracks, pops and hisses  :)
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
I used alot of these in my C64  ;D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
Copying C64 games with a double deck tape recorder, that was sooo precise and technological... but often it worked!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
One of the very first Basic programs I wrote for my Atari 8 bit was a program that did the following:

1 Create a string array as long as possible in the memory of the machine with Basic running (this took a bit of trial and error to found what the limit was)
2 open the tape channel for reading
3 start and keep reading bytes into the string array until EOF headers were read
4 close the tape channel
4 prompt the user to put in a blank tape and press record
5 open the tape channel for writing
6 write out all the bytes that were in the string array to the tape channel
7 close the tape channel when the end of the array was reached

To my complete amazement this actually worked right away and allowed you to copy every bootable cassette game as long as it was not TOO big...

This also produced an extremely high quality copy, in fact it was tailored to YOUR cassette recorder because it was written on it and thus it was BETTER quality than any factory made tapes for _your_ recorder :)

Following I almost never used the audio recorder method and never had any real tape problems (apart from it being so slooooooooooow ) :)

Because it was such an extremely simple program I might even have been able to write a Machine Language version of it some years later (so it could use much more memory space while Basic was not loaded) but by then I already owned a floppy drive and there were other great tools for backing up floppies (for safety reasons only of course).

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Cool, seems like most of us have great memories about these tapes. :D
Check out the BASF section, you will find a lot of familiar ones there. ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
I do remember a specific program for my C64 which one could use so you could adjust the head of the tapedeck with a tiny screwdriver.  ;D

i dont remember anymore if it was just the audio that was enabled, or that there was also something on the screen though.

I am sure that everyone who used a tapedeck knows what i am talking about  :D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
I do remember a specific program for my C64 which one could use so you could adjust the head of the tapedeck with a tiny screwdriver.  ;D

i dont remember anymore if it was just the audio that was enabled, or that there was also something on the screen though.

I am sure that everyone who used a tapedeck knows what i am talking about  :D

Yes, I remember something .... I'm not sure about the colors etc ...

I try to draw it... the signal was good if the lines were straight

???

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

shrunkenmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »

Ah, the Azymuth Tape Head Aligner, remember it well! Spent a fair while twiddling that little screwdriver before getting my 1541 disk drive!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
That was never neccesary on Atari Tapedrives.....

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »
ha ! i knew that i was ofcourse not the only one to remember that program!  ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Found!!!

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=49944

'Original Program by Harald Diebek, from Input64 06/1985. translated by fungus and streetuff.

this is THE tool for aligning your datasette. forget any other method you know, use this tool instead :=)

Interisting Trivia: Harald owned a computer store, one of the top seller was, surprise, the c-64. he had a lot of returns and complaints from customers who had problems loading tapes (which they obviously copied from a neighbour or sth). harald got sick of all the complaints and grabbed a "c64 intern" and coded this little tool. some time later he eventually sold it to the "heise verlag" for publishing on "input 64" for 3000DM, and for that money he bought himself a PC-XT. harald never had his own c64 (at home that is), and he never programmed any c64 stuff again.'

ok ok I don't have a great memory  :-\  :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:05:32 PM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 07:06:54 AM »
here the english version  :P

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:08:40 AM by Etienne MacGyver »