Author Topic: My (early) birthday present ...GA LA GAAAA !!!  (Read 42413 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: My (early) birthday present ...GA LA GAAAA !!!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
Really ?? Woehaaa ..... I'm scared !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLXdLgOybE&feature=related

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll drink a 2nd beer to my good friend Pieter and his wonderful Galaga, a beautiful machine indeed !

Replacing the monitor is a piece of cake.

In theory. I still haven't got the one in my Ms.Pac entirely straight... as you may remember I had to widen the holes on the frame....
And....it's the same cab I'm afraid....

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
Pieter what is the sn of your galaga ?

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:27 PM »
Nice classic !!!  :-* :-*

A great add to your collection - congrats  :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
Congratulations Pieter, You did it! You're MOST WANTED CAB (or second most wanted after DK, which you also have) is IN YOUR HOME!!  :spaceace:

And she is looking very pretty, two pieces of nice new side art will finish her off completely. And I'm sure that a new bright WG monitor will do the trick. Enjoy it, it's one of the best classic games out there, better than the other GAL.... , IMO

You know what would be great at the eurocade 2012 edition: a row of Galaga's!

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
Pieter do you know your galaga is 110 volts !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
Hihihihi.....the "Gal Wars", Galaxian vs. Galaga....will it ever end  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's funny because I can't think of a game that has so many controversy between it's predecessor and follow-up. (Waiting for Lascheck to correct me  ;D ;D ;D)

I'm also very inconsequent about it: I love Ms.Pac much more than I do Pac (OK, not an official follow up, but we didn't know that back then).

Seriously, as I've explained many times before: I don't hate Galaga at ALL. In fact I enjoy playing it, there are loads and loads of games that are far worse.
Played it a couple of times at Funspot. The thing is simply that when I first saw Galaxian back in the early 80's I was floored by it. We were used to SI and here comes a full color game (the first !) where the aliens instead of simply waiting for a bullet up their arse are breaking out of the pattern and very aggressively attack you with screaming sound...
However the most baffled I was when (after some considerable play for me in those days) I saw the first alien actually going round for a 2nd try to kill me. I was so baffled that it got me the first time right away....I was simply only thinking: How can they make it do that ! It felt like it was _really_ alive.
I know this sounds stupid today, but consider what we were used to (pretty simple B/W games with ultra low built-in "AI".....
Also, I thought the game sounds totally contributed to the atmosphere. The increasing tone of the background sound and then the sudden stopping of part of the "soundtrack" when there only a few aliens left really builds up the tension. The screaming sound (for those days !!!) when the aliens dive to you...all very well done.

So yes I played a lot of Galaxian back then.   I didn't play a lot of Galaga. Didn't like the movement of the aliens which seemed drunk when they come down at you...yes it made it harder to hit them (a bit) but it was like unfair and against logic to me.

And the sounds.....sorry, but I still really think they are totally gay for a shooter. It sounds like Pac.

Anyway, I swear this is the last I write about it, again I DO NOT hate Galaga, but yes there is very little chance that I will ever own one...Everyone is entitled to his opinion right, but I find it fun to tease around a bit...

This is the last thing I write about that, now I will start helping Gyruss to get this baby running ! :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:37:56 AM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
Pieter do you know your galaga is 110 volts !

Maybe thats what fried the monitor...  :roll:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
Don't think so, Pieter has a step-down transformer....right ?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
Don't think so, Pieter has a step-down transformer....right ?

he has, but did he used it ? thats the question  ;D

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
Hihihihi.....the "Gal Wars", Galaxian vs. Galaga....will it ever end  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's funny because I can't think of a game that has so many controversy between it's predecessor and follow-up. (Waiting for Lascheck to correct me  ;D ;D ;D)

I'm also very inconsequent about it: I love Ms.Pac much more than I do Pac (OK, not an official follow up, but we didn't know that back then).

Seriously, as I've explained many times before: I don't hate Galaga at ALL. In fact I enjoy playing it, there are loads and loads of games that are far worse.
Played it a couple of times at Funspot. The thing is simply that when I first saw Galaxian back in the early 80's I was floored by it. We were used to SI and here comes a full color game (the first !) where the aliens instead of simply waiting for a bullet up their arse are breaking out of the pattern and very aggressively attack you with screaming sound...
However the most baffled I was when (after some considerable play for me in those days) I saw the first alien actually going round for a 2nd try to kill me. I was so baffled that it got me the first time right away....I was simply only thinking: How can they make it do that ! It felt like it was _really_ alive.
I know this sounds stupid today, but consider what we were used to (pretty simple B/W games with ultra low built-in "AI".....
Also, I thought the game sounds totally contributed to the atmosphere. The increasing tone of the background sound and then the sudden stopping of part of the "soundtrack" when there only a few aliens left really builds up the tension. The screaming sound (for those days !!!) when the aliens dive to you...all very well done.

So yes I played a lot of Galaxian back then.   I didn't play a lot of Galaga. Didn't like the movement of the aliens which seemed drunk when they come down at you...yes it made it harder to hit them (a bit) but it was like unfair and against logic to me.

And the sounds.....sorry, but I still really think they are totally gay for a shooter. It sounds like Pac.

Anyway, I swear this is the last I write about it, again I DO NOT hate Galaga, but yes there is very little chance that I will ever own one...Everyone is entitled to his opinion right, but I find it fun to tease around a bit...

This is the last thing I write about that, now I will start helping Gyruss to get this baby running ! :)
What about this one? ;D ;D ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
I used the step down transformer, and paul already told me the monitor was broken..

So were do i go from here?

i disconnected the monitor from the power supply plus pcb and already checked all the fuses. The marque and coin-door lights work. I hear nothing when i insert some credits and try to start a game.

Replace the monitor first? or start doing some voltage measurements?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:18:58 PM by gyruss »

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
Look at your mail  ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »
Great! Thanks!!  ;D ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
Robin has been so kind to assist me through the process by email, very nice of him and he's an excellent teacher/instructor!!  :spaceace: :spaceace:

First thing he told me was to remove this connector from the pcb, and measure the voltage with a multimeter:

A should be 12V, B is the ground, C should be 5V

The 12v is way off:

And so is the 5v:

Robin told me the 5V is waaaaay to high, this has to be brought back to 5.1v before i could put the connector back on the pcb.

So i turned the voltage down with this Pot-meter, luckily it still worked and also brought the 14.8v back to 13.9v.

He told me when i put the connector back on the pcb the voltage would go down a bit, and of course robin was right! So i turned it up to 5.1v again. Now i should be hearing some noise/buzz coming from the speakers, and yes there is a low humming sound, which tells me the pcb isn't totally death.

Next up:

- Clean the edge connector with a pencil eraser
- swapping the monitor for a new one or use my ms pac monitor for a little while.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:34:53 PM by gyruss »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
Yeuhhhhh !

I can tell you pieter; the only way to learn this kind of things is to just do it (with assistence in this case)

Experimenting and logic thinking is the way to go  ;)