Author Topic: Join the 15th International Classic Gaming Tournament in May 2013  (Read 8488 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Guys, some of you may have read that I had the opportunity to visit Funspot recently, even a couple of days during the 14th Classic Gaming Tournament, and that I had a great time over there. I met some great people and because I appaerently was the only visitor from Europe at the time, I got a lot of attention and that was nice too. And Funspot is awesome in each and every way.  8)

Now, would it not be great to join the 15th edition with an European group?  ;D

I think that it would be great, it could make the 15th Classic Gaming event a special event, we could organize some nice things during this trip for which I already have one or two ideas. And having met Gary and knowing what great guy he is, I´m sure that he can come up with some nice ideas too.

But is it achievable?

It would mean flying to Boston as a group (or meet together in Boston at a certain date and time), transfer to Laconia in one or two vans, attend the tournament (if you want, if not there are hundreds of other games too play with), enjoy some other great things and have a fun holiday.
This would all take place somewhere end May 2013 and the trip would last about 6 days (tuesday-monday), including a weekend. About costs? I don´t know exactly, but fixed costs (flight, motel, car rent) should be under € 1.000, and if you start to save now for it, it means less than € 100 per month.  ;D It would be so cool if we could do this.

I´m willing to organize this, maybe together with one or two other guys, if there is enough interest. But who would come along?

This idea could also be too ambitious, so let´s discuss it here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:09:01 PM by ckong »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Join the 15th International Classic Gaming Tournament in May 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
Hey, that's my idea ! ;););)

Would seriously love to !

Must say my ultimate dream goal would be CAX, but reality makes this a WAY too long trip for just that event. Plus flight tickets alone are at least double the price....

Boston is not too far away to fly,about 6 hours from Amsterdam, but direct flights have become pretty expensive the last years.

Ill drive one of the vans, got US driving expertise and I know the way to Funspot ;););)

One problem I can see is that if someone flies from f.i. the UK or Spain to Boston we won't arrive there at the same time I bet...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:32:59 AM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
Well, let´s organize it together.  :D

I think we should aim for a group of minimum 4, maximum 10. This would mean one or two cars/vans. And there is always a solution if people arrive from other countries.

I already have a nice hotel in mind, with it´s own little gameroom (biljart, table tennis, two pinballs and a few arcade machines), an indoor swimming pool, very near to a lake with it´s own little beach and free use of boats, not expensive and enough restaurants nearby. But there are a lot of other hotels to choose from.

And we could ask Gary and maybe one or two of his crew members on forehand  if they could make a bit of their time free for a kind of a meet and greet.

Man, such a trip really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But first we will have to see how much interest there is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:07:01 PM by ckong »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
sounds like a great idea and i'm definitely interested but it's too soon for me to confirm already.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
You don´t have to confirm yet, this topic is nothing more then a ´that is a great idea, I´m seriously interested´ topic. But I like your enthousiasm.

I will start putting more time in the idea and eventual planning when it looks like it is achievable, meaning that there are more then enough people seriously interested. But so far all goes well.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
sounds like a great idea and i'm definitely interested but it's too soon for me to confirm already.
+1 ;D

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
Wow, end of may is my birthday ... I will turn 40 next year and THAT would be the place to celebrate :D Let's see what Mrs. Caveman says ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
 :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
as much as i love the idea, i am almost 100% certain i am not going to make it  :'(

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »
MRS. CAVEMAN IS IN! So ... we would be interested! C'mon, let's make this happen. I will of course help organizing the journey if you need any help. :)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »
MRS. CAVEMAN IS IN! So ... we would be interested! C'mon, let's make this happen. I will of course help organizing the journey if you need any help. :)

:spaceace: :spaceace:

WOOT! Looks like this might seriously get a lift off! Of course there is still almost a year to go, so please, please, let´s keep this idea warm.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
We need a sponsor......arcadeshop.com ? ThisOldGame.com ? ;) ;)
Twingalaxies ?  ;D ;D After all, we are all European champions in some game.... ;D ;D ;D

I have two problems:

1) My family will not let me go to the US alone.....they DEFINITELY will want to go too.
2) School holidays. Can't take my kid away from school outside of school holidays....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »
Oh, and welcome home buddy !  ;D ;D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
thanks