Author Topic: [Restoration] Gauntlet - warrior needs food ...  (Read 42845 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Restoration] Gauntlet - warrior needs food ...
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »

i picked this game up during my village vs. city roadtrip and while it looked ok at first glance, there was a lot of "hidden stuff" which needed fixing. i started this restoration quite a while ago, having been working on the cabinet on and off and i thought it would be a good time now to share it with you. so let's give that starving warrior some food ...

(unfortunately) here's the only good picture of the cabinet i have in its completely assembled form. it was taken by the seller back then and as i've said: looking nice at first glance, doesn't it?

let's examine it a little bit closer: full frontal view! the monitor has some HEAVY :shock: burn-in

the right-hand side of the cabinet: artwork is intact entirely (sadly not the full sideart that some cabs used, but the cut version :()

there are some scratches, but all in all the condition of the artwork is still good

however, for some fixings on the inside of the cab (more on that later), some guy used screws which were too long and simply screwed them right through the wood and through the artwork :evil:

the left side of the cabinet is where the real problems start

as you can see, the artwork has come off in many places

it gets worse: the vinyl on the front comes of easily (note that i removed that bigger piece myself for a replacement vinyl matching). in spaces where the original vinyl had already come off, the wood underneath was colored black with a pen

extremely professional job, isn't it? :P

the front art looks good, BUT ...

... some idiot has drilled two large screws right through the art for no apparent reason! there is absolutely NOTHING fixed to those screws and i've compared my cab with other gauntlet cabinets: none of them has those screws!!! ???

on the sides it gets even more amateurish: obviously the cab had taken a heavy beating in the past, because a huge chunk of wood has been badly reconstructed with wood filler. here's the view from the "inside" - i can't believe how bad this job has been executed!

view from the other side: looking a little bit better, but still very bad! check out how they didn't even manage to get it straight PLUS also check out the hand paint job on the blue :o :shock:

here's that same spot with the black vinyl already removed and parts of the old filling job already scraped off

and here's how i fixed it: straight and smooth now! 8)

when moving the cabinet around, i realize that it is a little bit "shaky" and i already new that a new drama is unfolding at the very bottom of the cab: the leg levelers are completely worn out, the nuts are being held in place by screws

in the following pictures the screws, the levelers and the nuts have been removed

filled and new nuts installed (partially embedded in the wood filler)

leg levelers installed! as you can see, other parts of the cabinet had been reconstructed as well :)

the entire outer shell of the cabinet will be covered in fresh black vinyl! because the cabinet is so deep (more than 1 meter), i was having a hard time finding replacement vinyl in the correct size, but after some searching i found a shop online selling vinyl with a width of 120 centimeters ;D

preparations done under the watchful eyes of my cat gnocchi

because it worked extremely well on my pac-mania restoration, i'm using the same application method again: not cutting the vinyl to fit the cabinet's shape, but leaving it a little bit larger and using the heat gun to "fold" it around the edges!

PERFECT!!! :spaceace:

something easy to finish off this first restoration session: the power block before ...

... and after!

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Gauntlet - warrior needs food ...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »
Yay!
Maby i should restore mine now you're working on yours!
.... well, maby in 2 months when i get home ill give it a go...

But great to see another restore from you ully!!!!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »
You run a lot of restorations in the same time, try not to mix the parts! ;D ;D ;D
Btw nice cabinet, good luck for the resto! ;)

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:00:37 AM »
Wow that looks like a huge restoration! But if anyone can pull it off its you Ully!
Current Project: Donkey Kong

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
Another "Super" Ully Treatment !, RESPECT ! (ah i dont need to tell you that , you already know it  ;D)

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
Great game, I really start to collect arcade cabinets with this cab, it's one of my favorites games :-*

Sides look great with the new black vinyl  :shock: :shock: Is it difficult to applicate it ?
Have You Played Atari Today ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
Sides look great with the new black vinyl  :shock: :shock: Is it difficult to applicate it ?

thx a lot, it even looks better "live". not easy to applicate though because of the sheer size of that thing, you can't do it alone! there is a learning curve in this as well, the second side went on much easier than the first one did - without a lot of sweating and swearing ;)

at first i though about painting the cab, but because of the particle wood used it's extremely difficult to get a totally even finish PLUS the cab originally came with vinyl - why change it? the sides will have to stay black for a while though, because there are no real reproductions for the full sideart available yet. some guy from canada did a pretty good job on recreating it, but it's not 100% accurate. i've made a deal with him though to get one of his earlier test versions (which is much cheaper than the final version and still pretty good), but i don't want to spend that much money at the moment on sideart, therefore it'll have to wait. there is one other guy working on vectorizing the entire full sideart, but this is still a long way from being finished! for now, the cab looks great without sideart as well ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »
Hey Ully, excellent job, you're really bringing HIM back to life!
I really love that cab (and game) too.
Please let me know if I can be of any help on the vectorisation of the side art  ;)
Maybe I could get in touch with the guy already working on it and we could team up to work faster.

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
You're right Vinyl is the best option, I have a Gauntlet 2 to restore, I think that I'm going to try the Superully method (c).

For the vector side-arts, do you know this site : http://vectorlib.free.fr/Gauntlet/ ?

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »
Hey you're right Atarimania, I didn't even check vectorlib.
Looks like the job is taken (and done) already  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »
For the vector side-arts, do you know this site : http://vectorlib.free.fr/Gauntlet/ ?

yepp, i know that side, but the don't have the FULL sideart, just the small one (which is a cropped version). check out this link for pictures of the full sideart and a status of that project. once you've seen the full version, you never want to install the small one again ;D

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »
Damned!! You're right, I didn't notice that the bottom was missing!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »
it's not just the bottom, it's also more monsters and ghouls (5 :ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: instead of just 3 :ghost::ghost::ghost:). all in all, it covers the sides much better! :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
ok, i need some input:

today i rewired my gauntlet. because the cabinet came originally came from the usa, i have to use a stepdown converter. here's the setup i've installed:

from the wall socket a cable runs into the cabinet's on / off switch, from there the cable "continues" into the 230V input of the stepdown converter. i've measured the voltages there: around 230 volts! CHECK

from the 120V output of the stepdown converter a cable runs into the filter of the power supply. i've measured the voltages right before the filter: around 120 volts! CHECK

on the power supply itself there is a switching power supply which handles the rest. i've measured the voltages there as well (AC at 120 volts), +5V and -5V right where they are supposed to be! CHECK

i've measured the voltages running up from the power supply to the monitor (with the monitor still unplugged): around 120 volts! CHECK

i ran all those tests with both the monitor and the pcb connectors unplugged from the power supply! because all the voltages seemed to be totally fine and the power supply was humming nicely, i plugged in the connectors and turned on the game :arrow:

the power supply went silent - that's it!

i checked the fuses on the power supply, one of them was blown! i replaced it with a new one, removed the pcb and monitor connectors, measured the voltages again - same results. i plugged in the monitor connector, turned on the game, fuse didn't blow, i got a nice neckglow going, but of course no game picture.

turned the game off, plugged in the connector from the power supply to the game pcb (to see if it is getting the correct voltages), turned the game on again, fuse didn't blow, BUT the led on the pcb didn't come on :(

turned the game off, plugged in all the connectors, turned the game on again, fuse didn't blow, coin door lights came on, led on the pcb stayed dark, got a grey monitor picture - that's it :'(

is it possible that i blew the pcb game board? is there anything i have done wrong and could have checked before? what's next?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 11:05:44 PM »
when everything is connected and its on in "monitorgraymode" do you still have the voltages on the connectors that are connected now?

fuses blow normally to protect stuff, so it could be that you have a short somewhere in your board wich took something else out the first time when the fuse was blown

is there another powersupply wich you can use to test the board ?

it sounds like its toast...

or did you forget some connector or switched (if possible) a connection ?
and i read in your roadtrip there is a spare board, did you test that as well ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:11:16 PM by Etienne [NL] »