Author Topic: [Roadtrip] The "wrong-way-round" ORANGE roadtrip ! IT'S ON !! :)  (Read 28456 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] The "wrong-way-round" ORANGE roadtrip ! IT'S ON !! :)
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »
here's an update on the wrong-way-round ORANGE roadtrip:

right after andre's arrival, we went to my storage to drop off the cab he had brought along. because it's the day before the "match of the century" (as andre calls it), he has to show some flag!

let's see what's underneath that piece of cloth - reveal please!

andre, you're pushing ...

... i'm pulling!

another foreign cab touching german soil  ;D

since patrik and i have moved quite a few games into my storage, he's taking over

just some more pushing and we're there. i like the cabinet's sticker "people on the move"  ;)

in order to celebrate the arrival of TIME PILOT to my arcade (well, to my storage), i'm putting on my original world war i outfit  8)

because the weather is extremely hot outside (35°C+), my badly-isolated apartment directly underneath the roof acts almost like a sauna :o. nevertheless, andré has also come over to help me fix some of my games. well, to be honest, he's the guy who's fixing my games, i'm the one helping him with cold water and towels :).

here's andré working on my berzerk which only gave three beeps. after exchanging one bad ram and a swap of the sound board, we get 8 beeps! berzerk repair :arrow: check

here's andré working on my wizard of wor which played blind without any neckglow on the monitor. after finding a bad soldering spot on the neckboard, we get a picture! wizard of wor repair :arrow: check

here's andré working on my defender pcb which was missing the highscore battery. after installing a williams battery replacement, everything's working perfectly! defender repair :arrow: check

that's it, i didn't take any more pictures - didn't want to bug andre too much. in the evening we watched germany win over "the country with the strange name" (at least that's what homer thinks) ;D

all in all, we had a nice weekend, managed to get a couple of games running, ate some not so healthy food and drank some german beer and a looot of water! thx a lot for coming over, for bringing the time pilot and for helping me out with my games. I OWE YOU, ANDRE!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
wow! he sure is a wizard!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
looks like you two have a great time!

Im happy that things work out with the "repairs"

sometimes the things need a littlle touch from the hand of the master  8)

(thats what i hear sometimes in my job)   ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
I'm JUST in safely back !

First of all, it was f-ing HOT

The weather Gods were laughing there asses off I bet because instead of loads of snow they now gave us loads of HEAT !

Anyway, I'm very glad that it was so succeful. Esp. getting the Berzerk back in working shape was important to me. Luckely it was quite easy. The strange thing is that although we only had three beeps, it wasn't the BSC board that was failing but the VFB. And incindently, the game actually showed the bad RAM when it was booted ! Silly from me not asking if it indicated anything on the screen before but I admit that I also didn't have much faith in those indications before.
Another lesson learned !

Although we got 8 beeps and could play the game, very soon the Voice board started acting up (Ully already mentioned it had done before). It was all like a funny sounding garbage being produced. Funny, but not what you want it to be. So we exchanged the voice board with a spare and it worked great again. I will look into it later here what the problem on the voice board is.
Then I just _had_ to improve the picture on the screen, took a bit of regulating to get a fine picture.

The WoW was pretty easy too. Although there was no neck-glow (which often is an indiction of no HV) I could hear the HV crackling up on the first power up.
So I expected the HV to be there, I checked with my HV probe and indeed 20 kV.
So, why was the heater not glowing ? There were some tracks that we knew had been cracked and one of them was the trace for the heater. I pretty soon found out with the multi-meter that the previous repair didn't work, so I soldered in a bridge using one leg of a resistor. Fired up and YES we have WoW !!

Of course we had to play a couple of 2 player games and what a lovely game this is ! First time ever that I played it on an original machine !!! (I already loved the Atari 8-bit version). But, there was no marquee light ! There was a 230V ballast in there, but it was still wired orignally (to the 110V) so we traced the wires and by moving one wire to the 230V tab of the transformer we got it to light up nicely.

Those were the main jobs for me, the Defender battery mod was a no-brainer. This morning we also investigated a problem on the Missile Command, turns out there is one bad opto-board in there..

Anyway, there was no magic at all, just some basic trouble shooting and I was glad that this was enough to get those brilliant games back up and running again.

Ully, if you EVER want to sell that WoW, think of me ;)

We also had some time to watch some videos and of course the "losers" finale ;) Congrats on Germany, now, I'm getting ready to witness the match of the century !!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:18:02 PM by Level42 »

Laschek

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »

Now this is hilarious, Super-Biggles-Ully ready for takeoff  ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »
Time Pilot! Very cool cabinet, but I would transfer it to a Gyruss  :wink:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:06 PM »
Time Pilot! Very cool cabinet, but I would transfer it to a Gyruss  :wink:

i wonder why ;). is there even a euro-version of gyruss?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
Even if there is one, it's not an Atari game (yeah, yeah, I know Time Pilot was a licensed game, but Gyruss is Konami and Atari never licensed it.

I have a feeling that Gyruss might mean Gravitar ?

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »
Eeuh no I wasn't, they look kinda but now i see the difference. Anyway still quite a beautiful machine, I guess this one doesn't need a lot of work.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
Eeuh no I wasn't, they look kinda but now i see the difference. Anyway still quite a beautiful machine, I guess this one doesn't need a lot of work.

well, the sidearts need some touching up, i have to build a new coin door and must replace both the marquee and the overlay with reproductions. you see: the usual stuff  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »

Now this is hilarious, Super-Biggles-Ully ready for takeoff  ;D

Love this picture too  :D

It reminds me my Time Pilot workshop. When it came the time to do the 'ending workshop video', I had to found a special music ... which was very easy because of the TWO themes of this game : Time & Pilot.
Hey... it was the perfect moment for using some IRON MAIDEN songs  :twisted:  :arrow:
Caught Somewhere in Time, Aces High... and Remember tomorrow  :-* Here's the video if you missed it, right here  ;)

I love that game  :-*

Spyridon

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

here's andré working on my berzerk ...

here's andré working on my wizard of wor ...

here's andré working on my defender pcb ...

A traveling tech...cool.  André, next time you are in the US stop over.  I have lots of projects you can work on.   ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

here's andré working on my berzerk ...

here's andré working on my wizard of wor ...

here's andré working on my defender pcb ...

If you pay travel I'll be right over ! (What part of the US are you in again ?)

A traveling tech...cool.  André, next time you are in the US stop over.  I have lots of projects you can work on.   ;D