Author Topic: [Roadtrip] World of Kong  (Read 44893 times)

yuppicide

• View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] World of Kong
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:05:32 AM »
Love the pictures! That's a lot of Asteroids! Love the Donkey Kong cabinet. Maybe I like them so much because I've never seen one (being I'm from the US). I too will admit they're not as nice as the US ones, but they are still nice.

Wish I could visit some of your places. I think Japan should be high on my list of places to visit to look for classic video game consoles.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 06:43:25 AM »
The smilies i recognise, i see them every day when i drive home from work in the highway that i pass  ;D
we got those in holland too  :D

never seen those in germany before, i guess they are only used on looong construction sites!

i think you are right, the highway that i need to drive every day is already one year in reconstructing  >:(

This is the "set" they use here in the netherlands:

TEEEEAAAAASSSSSIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!  :P ;D ;D ;D

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

(ps : can I tease inside your teasing by the way  ::) :P ;D ;D ;D)

sure you can - go for it! i'll give you a hint for my game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmK5X4KtSzA

My guess is Congo Bongo ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:33:34 AM by Etienne [NL] »

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
really nice photo's/story and congrats on the Donkey Kong cabinet. I think it looks fresh, with the sideart and all that. Great catch!
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »

etienne, haven't you already won a game on my pac-man?  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »

etienne, haven't you already won a game on my pac-man?  ;)

Ahhhh, i was just guessing hihi  :D

But yes , i was already one of the winners in one of the passed episodes of the "Great SuperUlly Quiz"  ;D

Too bad i live more than 600 Km. away from you , in anotherway i already claimed my prize  8)

Well i cannot look in the future, so i never say never when it comes to visiting your gameroom  ;)

By the way , when you got DK up and running, try to catch a Fireball like i finaly managed to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXM1GBylsz8

I knew it was possible, but i only did it once ...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:07:13 PM by Etienne [NL] »

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »
what a crazy crazy place... surprised that such a place exists. that hand drawn side art is brilliant!!  ;D

thanks for sharing the photos.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
Maybe that MC is the first Irish prototype ? ;) ;) Imagine if that would be true  ;D ;D ;D

Not crazy, just a bit messy :D Stefan is an OK guy. He was straight and honest with the Meteor I bought from him. Sure, if you expect the games to be near mint, you're in the wrong place, but a "dealer" like that is very unique in Europe at all !

B.t.w. those Asteroids's look pretty nice condition.

I'm actually very glad it exists. I can't understand that he's allowed to dump all the old cabs etc. on the back of the business, thought German regulations would be pretty strict about that.
I would have harvested the CRT's around there for yoke wedges, convergence strips and convergence rings ! ;)

The more I look at that German DK the more I like it. The buttons are not really my style though, but hey, it's original. That side art needs to be saved Ully :D The marquee looks like the original one, maybe cut a bit to fit. Would the bezel be the same ? The CPO is definitely unique. Is there any mention of "Licensed by Nintendo" ?

But you still didn't answer the million dollar question Ully: Why did you not pick up one of those Asteroids cabs ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:49:55 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
I can't understand that he's allowed to dump all the old cabs etc. on the back of the business, thought German regulations would be pretty strict about that.

believe me: they ARE! it's just a matter of being out of sight behind his house.

The more I look at that German DK the more I like it. The buttons are not really my style though, but hey, it's original. That side art needs to be saved Ully :D The marquee looks like the original one, maybe cut a bit to fit. Would the bezel be the same ? The CPO is definitely unique. Is there any mention of "Licensed by Nintendo" ?

That sideart WILL be saved for reproductions. i know at least two people who are longing for those sidearts.
The only difference between the original marquee and the german marquee is the missing nintendo copyright. as i've said: the german cab is a little bit wider: 60 x 15,6 cm compared to the measures that scr33n has given me: 56,8 x 14,7 cm. the original bezel seems to be smaller, too. i'd like to have original parts here for comparison!

But you still didn't answer the million dollar question Ully: Why did you not pick up one of those Asteroids cabs ?

because i'm still not over that almost brand-new asteroids sold on ebay a couple of months ago close to my place - i simply missed the end of the auction and it went for around 350 euros. still crying  :'( don't know, perhaps i should simply get one from stefan to get over this trauma. i'm thinking: he has so many, i can get one anytime, but that's probably wrong or the best ones will be gone soon. damn. if it weren't a matter of money ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:20:45 PM »
Seriously, if I had to decide Paperboy-Frogger-Asteroids, the choice would be clear and immediate. (OK, the Death Race would make it a tough choice ;D)

May I ask you my friend, did you ever play Asteroids on a true B/W vector monitor......there's _nothing_ like it :D

About the German DK: There are two MAJOR factors better on that one over the Japanese/US version: It's taller, and the bezel/monitor set-up is WAY better. This will make it much easier for us tall Western-Europeans to actually play DK standing up. I cannot play any Nintendo cab standing up without bending over a bit, and this hurts my back pretty quickly. I always have to use a stool on my MB cab.

I wonder if you can get this cab certified for Twingalaxies. Ask, no INSIST they come over to verify it is original ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 07:40:35 AM »
May I ask you my friend, did you ever play Asteroids on a true B/W vector monitor......there's _nothing_ like it :D

yeah, i've played it a couple of times and it R-O-C-K-S - there's nothing like a vector monitor!

you guys are throwing me in a moral dilemma  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 07:53:37 AM »
Like you (rightfully) point out in your Tank thread that each collection should at least have a B/W game, it is also so that no collection is complete without a vector game  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
Like you (rightfully) point out in your Tank thread that each collection should at least have a B/W game, it is also so that no collection is complete without a vector game  ;D ;D ;D ;D

does a vectrex count?  8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 04:44:14 PM »
Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhmmmmm........

of course not.

Although they are cool.  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »
Ully, I was thinking: How sure are you that this was officially licensed by Nintendo ?

You'd expect to have some mention of it on any of the artwork. I know the artwork looks very close to the original stuff, but it _could_ just be a well made copy.... ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
@andré: because a couple of months ago a guy "popped up" on a german arcade forum looking for sidearts for this kind of cab. he did some investigating, even wrote emails to nintendo and they told him that they didn't produce video games in germany until the 90s, but sold the license to do so to someone else. so this cab was produced by a german firm under the license of nintendo. don't know how good your german is, but here's the thread:

http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php?t=11073&highlight=donkey+kong