Author Topic: Restoration - Galaxian  (Read 69496 times)

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration - Galaxian
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 07:56:09 PM »
very nice result ckong! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

where i can find these "magic eraser"?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
I did a second round of cleaning after I posted the picture of the frontpanel earlier today. Although the result was already great, I knew I could do better. And here is the final result, a lot of yellowing has gone. It´s exhausting work, but it´s worth it.

I know what you mean André, but for me, I made up my mind, I will keep all artwork original. If I were you I would place a protection strip at the bottom of the frontpanel, it may not be ´original´, but it hides your rough spots on the edges and better yet, you get to keep the original frontpanel artwork.

By the way, magic sponges can be found at several places, like Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=magic+sponge&_nkwusc=magic+sponse&_rdc=1

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
@Level42, the Midway Service Bulletins that you got with your manual, are they by any chance published somewhere on the www? I would love to read them.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Yes they are, I actually scanned them myself and later learned they were already available but WDF ;)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,68900.msg702732.html#msg702732

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »
Thanks  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »
Some notes of interest for you:

- the WG 19k4500 monitor has only been used in the upright cab.

- the four controls contrast,brightness. color and tint are not used. These controls are located in the upper right side of the monitor panel. (Should have known that earlier, I already wondered why they didn't do a thing )

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 11:49:02 PM »
I probably need:

a new CPO > is Thisoldgame selling good ones?
some Midway coin door plates > where to get them?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:37 PM »
I've got both here.....still need to install them.... both from TOG.

The current CPO was nr.1 of the first run Rich did, and after I received it I still noticed some mistakes ( we had been working on getting it as faultless as possible)  like no bullets before the instructions and a typo somewhere....so later I received tha last one of his second run which had these things corrected and I don't believe they are available anymore.....unless he did a third run ?

It's definitly the best one around....

Not sure if he still has the Coin door plates, Rich's are definitly a lot better than AS's.

[Edit] Looks like CPO is available, coin plate is not.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:03:21 AM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »
Time to continue with this amazing game.

Robinholland was so kind to repair the sound issue with my board (thanks again, mate) and now I want to play the game in the good old way (meaning, not in Mame, but the real thing).

But ..... the monitor (chassis date of make March 1980) has clearly come to the end of its lifespan

The colors are washed out and the image is very faint. It was much worse before tuning the pots, but this is the best it will get. Not to my satisfaction of course. Besides, the tube itself is also in bad condition, as if it is worn out, which probably is true. I can clearly see a lot of wear and tear in the tube, and burn in marks.  ;D So I decided to change both the tube

and the WG 19K4500 chassis for a used, but still in great shape, Samsung monitor

with a Kortek chassis. The 'new' monitor looks much larger, but it is only 3 cm larger (51 cm vs 48 cm). I didn't have to drill extra holes though, or cut a piece of wood away, it is secured with two opposite screws, very tight I can assure you. And the monitor will lay down almost flat in the cab, so two screws are more than good enough. Besides, I hate to cut  or drill in a classic cab when it is not really needed.
And the tube/chassis combination is a proven combination, I took it from a general and ugly 'High Tech' woody. I wanted to get rid of the cab, but I loved the monitor, brigh colours and sharp picture. That will be very nice to play Galaxian with. And I saved the Midway trade mark sticker of course, will put it on the new monitor.

But what to do with the old tube/chassis combo. It is working 100% and there is a kind of history involved here (first true RGB game, bla bla bla). Should I dump it? Should I clean it and put it on display? Should I give it away? Don't know what to do.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:22:19 PM by ckong »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:04 AM »
I actually ditched the original Galaxian monitor.....

It is a PITA to get converged, as you have experienced....I couldn't get it any better like you....

It is sad but sometimes parts just have served their purpose....and time.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:36 AM »
i would make that desicion after you have visited our Muter / ESR meter friend, (we all know who that is right ?  ;D) and have checked all caps and the tube status...
there is some burn in there, do you see the burn in alot while running ?
Ofcourse it will never give the image of the replacement, but CRT monitors are becomming more and more rare as we all know...

don't know if its worth saving, maybe its just some bad caps and pots which causes the bleeding ?

speleo_de

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »
i would make that desicion after you have visited our Muter / ESR meter friend, (we all know who that is right ?  ;D) ......

+1

... and I am happy to take the monitor, if you decide to not further bother with it

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
Müter.......mmmm........Now who could that be ??

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 11:43:12 PM »
OK, time for the next step (it's good to have deadlines, like the upcoming RGE!  ;D  )

Coin door resto. It was in pretty bad shape to start with:

The coin return box is heavily damaged and some stupid a...hole drilled holes in the door and in the coin door plate. What a shame!!  :o

But after some help from a colleague at work, the visible damage was reduced to very acceptable:

Plate removed

A bit of cleaning.

before

after

Now a huge leap forward. I filled all unwanted holes with JB-weld iron putty, sanded the door on the inside and outside like a mirror, spraypainted it with primer and satin matt black paint, and voila:

Ready in time for Eurocade 2014.  :D  I still need a new coin door plate of course and I will order one from the KLOV guy (need more, also for the pac-man cab). Yes, I know, the original color is grey, but there are a few reasons why I made it black:

1. A previous owner already painted the coin door frame black. I did try to get the frame out of the cab, but the bolts were to deep driven into the wood, couldn't get them loose. As couldn't the previous owner because I clearly saw that he spraypainted the door frame while it was in the cab. Fortunately I was able to get rid of the spilt paint by scraping it off of the vinyl with an Exacto knife.
2. I like black and I think that it is a better match for this cab.

About the well known swellings in the paint as you see it very often: I didn't know if this is factory original, or caused by rust. I consulted an expert and he is/was convinced that the coin doors are originally painted/ powdercoated smooth. So I spraypainted it smooth also. Easy Peacy.  ;D

BTW, I forgot to take pictures from the backside of the door, but that also looks now like new.

One final thing to do is installing new T-molding on it, but that can wait until after Eurocade. The cab will be packed and transported to Sound & Vision this weekend.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
Well done she looks great smooth and in black  8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:46:49 AM by Laszo »