Author Topic: [Superully's Roadtrip] Red Tent  (Read 25369 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Superully's Roadtrip] Red Tent
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »

ever since i failed to get a nintendo vs dualsystem upright AND ever since i realized how beautiful those dualsystem cocktails aka red tents are, i had wanted one - especially since i already had a nice collection of vs roms and vs ppus at home. a few weeks back another one showed up on marktplaats. i contacted the seller immediately with an offer, but he told me that it was already spoken for. HOWEVER, he said that he's considering the other one he has from his personal collection. i asked for pics, this one was even nicer than the one on marktplaats and me made a deal. now the only problem was to get this baby to my place. i contacted patrick "anunaki" who lives in the same town as the seller, but was surprised to hear that patrick was also offered a red tent :o. what the heck is going on here, we thought. well, it turned out that the seller not only had two, but FOUR red tents in his possession, all of which are gone by now, so don't bother contacting the seller! to make a long story short: patrick kindly agree to pick up the cabinet for me, but not only that, he also made an appointment with erik who was coming over to pick up my pleaids, they passed the torch and erik eventually delivered the red tent to my place! EADS at its best!!! :)

last sunday was the day i had been waiting for for quite a while and i had already done some preparations, like making up some space in my gameroom ... :arrow:

... like clearing the stairs as much as possible :arrow:

... like putting some much needed energy drinks in the fridge :arrow:

ok erik, everything's ready, you can deliver the red tent to my doorstep now, please ;D

however, it wasn't as easy as it looked, because two years ago the guys living one floor down decided to put a closet for shoes in the middle of the staircase - right where the stairs are really narrow. and with the red tent being deeper than the usual arcade cabinets, there was no way we could pass the closet. there was only one option: move the entire thing up one staircase and push it into the apartment of my neighbours (sorry, another blurry picture. was i drunk?). when we later moved the closet back again to its original position, it almost completely fell apart. what a cheap piece of shit!!! :shock:

anyway, before i show you some good photos of the red tent, i have a small problem: the plug has been cut off and therefore i have no idea what kind of voltage that baby needs! the identification plaque says 120 volts, but the coin inserts show GULDEN - the former dutch currency!

unfortunately, i can't make heads or tails of the innards, some wires seem to be connected to 220 volts, some to 110 volts and those nintendo monitors use 100 volts.

the red tents from marktplaats we've seen so far all had the 120 volts plaque if i remember correctly, but were running on 230 volts without a stepdown converter, but i want to be sure before i install the plug and "fire up the engine" - don't wanna blow this thing up!!!

so perhaps some of you guys can tell me what's going on with the wiring. if you need any more pics, please feel free to ask, i'll gladly take some ...

there's more to the story to be told, but for now let's try to get the power issue solved, please!!!

thx guys :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: [Superully's Roadtrip] Red Tent
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »
The other on from the same seller was 230 V

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
OK, it seems your 'stepdown converter' is this transformer. 220V go in and 110 go out, wired to what seems to be a power supply block (AC IN). This large transformer has been added to provide 110V for the cab when your voltage is 220/230V.

To be 100% sure we need to know where the black and white wires go to.

If they go to the wires with the missing plug, then it is clear this cab was modified to get 220V :)
Simply add a Schuko-Stecker ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
Fire it up !  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:25:31 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
Looks like it, the "gold" wires comming from the sec side of the transformer (110) are spliced into the black-white wire that go into the Original connection point of the red tent.

the black white wire comming from the mains cable are cut there and wired to the 220 volt side as far as i can see it

looks like they simply cut the black white wire and placed the transformer in between.

black white is usually used for 110 volts.

so yes, its 99,9% sure you can just plug it to 220

if still in doubt, place a stepdown in front of it, if it does not work, its simply because it wants 220 (which i am 100% convinced of) ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »
And that, according to what I heard, is the reason why these machines were never put in use on the Stena line ships. They didn't comply with European electrical standards.\
Thank god for that as it brought about 6 of these great machines into collectors hands :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
thx for your help, guys, we have a working red tent!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

will update later ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Yeah,  it was not easy lifting that game up to the third floor by myself,  but I managed!   :D

Purity

• View Profile
    • Arcade Collectors
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
They are damn heavy aswell!

valentin27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »
Nice catch !
Do you really need a CS and a Pong after that ?  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:30:27 PM by valentin27 »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
Nice catch !

Nope, it's now time for him to buy my Gauntlet Legends  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »

absolutely, just a few more games on my wanted list!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 03:40:03 AM »
Congrats Ully! Now, get Vs. Balloon Fight, f*****g awesome game!!! :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
it's the weekend, guys, time to inspect the game a little bit further (after cleaning the hell out of it and rebuilding / lubricating all four joysticks)! all in all, i'd say the cabinet is in really good shape. it's not mint, but very presentable :arrow:

it does have some dings here and there plus obviously something was screwed to the cabinet once (those holes are on the other side as well), don't ask me what, perhaps a light gun ???

also some deformations to the metal cage, but i'll leave those for now!

after a lot of polishing, the metal feet almost look like new 8)

and now for something completley different: not only brought erik the red tent with him, he also delivered two large mysterious boxes to my doorstep :arrow:

inside: BRICKS!!! :)

ever since i saw those "chairs / benches" on the eurocade photos i wanted those for my gameroom and ever since i knew i'd be getting a red tent i had wanted them in red. with the help of pieter (who managed to find the manufacturer and helped me get in touch with the right person to talk to), erik's wife (who picked them up for me) and erik (who delivered them to my place)  i managed to get two of them in RED TENT RED!!!

basically it's a block of hard red plastic, but still very light, easy to move around and pretty comfortable to sit on. PLUS the perfect size for a red tent cabinet!

and here it is, my red tent :-* with the bricks in its new location!

currently i have the following games installed on main boards: super marios bros and dr mario on one board running on single screens, wrecking crew and ballon fight on one board each running on dual screens. i also have the roms for excite bike and vs tennis (FOUR players at once on two screens), but i'm still missing a few cpus, ppus and of course main boards. so in case you have some of that stuff lying around and are willing to sell it, please get in touch with me ...

there are a few ideas i currently have for my setup (e.g. the instruction cards), but for now i'm more than happy with what i've got! the price was pretty good, the cabinet is fully operational and the service to get it here unbeatable. once again, this community ROCKED!!!

one last time: thanks patrick, thanks pieter, thanks erik :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Sjaak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
ever since i saw those "chairs / benches" on the eurocade photos i wanted those for my gameroom and ever since i knew i'd be getting a red tent i had wanted them in red. with the help of pieter (who managed to find the manufacturer and helped me get in touch with the right person to talk to), erik's wife (who picked them up for me) and erik (who delivered them to my place)  i managed to get two of them in RED TENT RED!!!

I like those benches, who is the manufacturer (in the Netherlands)?