Author Topic: Makeshift controls for Daytona USA  (Read 6711 times)

peabo

• View Profile
Makeshift controls for Daytona USA
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:09:16 AM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post!
I have a working set of Daytona PCBs in the metal cage from the bottom of the arcade cabinet. With a lot of help, I have managed to make an adapter to connect it up to my TV so that I can see the rolling demos & listen to the music. But without controls, it all gets a bit dull after a while :(

I don't really want to have to buy a steering mechanism from a Daytona cabinet as they are huge, heavy and ugly! I was hoping to adapt some sort of generic steering wheel & pedals to work with the PCB. Of course, I'll have to buy a proper gearbox from a cab as there aren't any generic 4-speed ones available.

The problem is, I have no idea how I'd go about making it work. Would anyone be able to help me out? I'm ok at soldering & taking stuff apart, I just need step by step instructions as I'm not good with the terminology or any real knowledge of electronics. I need a steering wheel with about 300 degrees of rotation. I assume I'll need to buy the I/O loom that connects to the filter board on the side of the cage too.

Here are a few pics & a video of the board working:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JMTiHQj075E

Thanks in advance! :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »
Hi peabo and welcome here  :o

Opsss... I won't be able to help you on your projet... BUT ... I know someone on a french forum who did exactly what your are looking for  :wink:

Have a look at these pictures :

All the story, in french, on the gamoover website, right here  :arrow:  
http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=10981.0

His nickname is BigPanik, I'll drop him a mail and ask him to check this post  :wink:

Good luck.

peabo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »
excellent, thank you :) I really hope I am able to finish this project!