Author Topic: Attaching of marquee foils?  (Read 4790 times)

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
Attaching of marquee foils?
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
Hi,

this must be a somehow dumb question but I really need the expertise of you guys here. Ever since I'm into collecting arcade stuff I wondered what to do with these original marquee foils. I have quite a few of them lying around by now and never really cared but now I need to know because of a Galaga 88 cab that needs a marquee (btw: thanks DarthNuno :)). Sooo, are these foils meant to be attached onto glass or acrylic glass? I always had the impression there must be a way to build "real" marquess (meaning the unit of marquee foil and (acrylic) glass) with them. But as these foils are not stickers maybe they're meant to be attached by heat? Or glue? Water? Love?

I really can't believe they were meant to be put behind bare glass, as I think it would look weird, but of course I might be mistaken. Maybe someone knows? :)

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
Re: Attaching of marquee foils?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
Flexible ones like that are designed to be placed behind clear glass or Perspex. Usually the top and bottom wood on the cabinet holds them in place. The effect is the same as if it had been mounted directly to the glass.

Rigid marquees are usually reverse screen printed on to a clear adhesive vinyl or direct to glass, then given a white backing so the colours stand out properly and the light can't fully shine through.
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
Okay, thanksalot! :)
I'll admit defeat then. :lol:

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »
You simply couldn't believe me an PRC, eh? ;)

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
The case was that I once spoke to PRC and we both didn't knew what to do with them foils. Then I asked in our forum and I was under the impression that nobody seems to even know these foils, so everything that has been said must be an assumption. But sometimes assuming is not enough, I had to clearify this for myself once and for all. ;) :lol:

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:19 AM »
Newer pinballs also use flexible foils, cheaper to produce, easier to ship and hard to break. However not so nice as the real deal. I still remember when I got my first "fake" back glass pinball, a Whirlwind back in 92. I loved the pin and still do but I hate the foil back glass  :'( . Still do!

CrazyKongFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
I don't know if this term is used everywhere, but here in the US, that style of artwork is typically called a "translite"