Author Topic: Question about custom printing with THISOLDGAME.COM  (Read 4973 times)

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
Question about custom printing with THISOLDGAME.COM
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »
From what I've heard (read), some of you have had custom prints done from thisoldgame. Did these also include large side-arts  or maybe even vinyl sheets?
How is the Solvent Inkjet printing he offers? Is quality and colour-matching any good compared with large quantity screen printing?

Also is it just as UV resistant?  8)

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Re: Question about custom printing with THISOLDGAME.COM
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
I scanned and cleaned up the Atari APB side art for This Old Game, which is a pretty big piece of artwork.  I sent him the old side art from my cabinet to compare with, so the colors came out nice.

The main issue with solvent printed art is the colors are made up of tiny dots of other colors, where as silkscreened artwork doesn't have that issue.  I suppose this is only an issue if you're comparing it to something that was originally silkscreened.  Also only a real issue if you're examining the artwork up close  ;D

I haven't noticed any durability issues, but I haven't done anything nuts with the machine either  :lol:

Hope that helps.

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
Ok, great, thanks for the info!  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
Rich is beyond any doubt.

Of course inkjet will never be the same as screen printed, but for 1-off (or very low numbers) custom projects it's a great alternative. Check out what he did with my Puckman CPO, it looked GREAT even without a serious way to match colors !

I can't comment on how UV resistant the ink jets are but I assume he uses a layer over the inks that protects it.

Rich's communications is excellent. Before my first order he sent me the file he was going to use for the Galaxian CPO so I could check it. A number of mistakes were corrected and then they were screened.
The quality is simply perfect.

If at anytime you are not satisfied with his stuff, just drop him an e-mail and I'm sure he'll make sure the problems will be fixed.

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'll drop Rich a line and give it a shot.

Hope he gives you a "finders fee" next time you have a job done.  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
Link to the Puckman CPO: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1751.msg22530#msg22530

Note that he even improved the yellow on the 2nd one he printed for me (because I completely wrecked the first one) so that's even better now.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:48:46 PM by Level42 »

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »
You are right. Fantastic job, no doubt about that.