Author Topic: Birthday present...  (Read 7806 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Birthday present...
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday present...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
Which is?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »
Easy... I would say 'High Score' saver for Galaxian... or maybe a rapid fire chip?  ::)

Am I right?  ::)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
Wow, very very close ! :)

It is this:
http://www.arcades.plus.com/multigame3.htm

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:07:23 AM »
holysmokes! nice present!, however i would prefer a single cab for each game...  ::)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:14:48 AM »
thats a nice present if you are the happy owner of a galaxian, and you are  8)

did you install it yet ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:22:07 AM »
No, was really busy with some other stuff yesterday night.
I did get my board out of the cab. I have to cut-out one chip (the PROM) though and install a socket for it and I'm out of them so have to pick some up today.

A cab for every game....yeah, but you've seen my gameroom Muerto :)

By the way, I won't be installing any extra buttons or changed the joystick. So I will only be able to play the tho way games. That's OK with me. I definitely do'n want to hack up my joystick. Still plenty of games to enjoy, plus two of the main reasons for me: 1) hi-score table and save 2) a correct free-play screen that doesn't stay fixed (burn-in).

This kit is pretty rare. It has been "out of production" for quite some time. Mike told me he hopes to do some more kits early next year so if anyone's interested let him know.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »
...a correct free-play screen that doesn't stay fixed (burn-in)....

Yes, I hate that too... A game in attract mode is far better and more attractive than few characters : "PUSH ONE PLAYER BUTTON" in the middle of the screen  :P

Example... Space Ace and Dragon's Lair ! The attract mode are ones of the best attract mode ever seen in the video game history... but... once you put a coin ... it stops... and displays a so simple message  :-\

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »
WAHOO it works !

Pretty easy installation but had to de-solder a PROM and install a socket.

I have to go away now, so I had VERY little time to go through the games. Pics and video will follow !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 11:56:56 PM »
OK, well yes I like to keep things original but I have no problem with making a cab a bit more versatile if possible. I've been looking at this kit ever since I found my Galaxian cab. The pound-Euro rate made buying it much more interesting right now. Also, they were all sold out for quite some time. Recently Mike mailed me if I still wanted one and of course the answer was yes.

The kit build quality is very good. It looks very professional. The included cables are top-notch too.

Installation of the kit is straightforward and very well explained on Mike's site (http://www.arcades.plus.com/MultigameInstall.htm).

For some, the only problem may be that one chip (a PROM) needs to be desoldered and a socket mounted. There is also one wire that needs to be soldered between the kit and the board.

Anyway, pics:
The original board. The red wires on there are because of my "TV-mod" it's just to get some voltages from the board for the SCART connector so has nothing to do with the kit. My board has the first Namco ROM-set on the "well-known" rom extender board that is often a cause for problems but in my case still worked 100%.

Extender board removed, Z80 removed, RAMs removed and PROM desoldered from board:

And everything installed. One note if you get this kit too: Use a simple, el-cheapo socket for the PROM position. The more expensive one's with the round holes cannot accept the relatively thick pins that are always used with these kits. The wires with connectors are included. You need to get a wire to solder to the board yourself.

When I had the kit installed, the coin-counter was constantly triggered while being in the menu. I e-mailed Mike and he said I was probably the first one who actually had a coin-counter connected. It's probably something in the code, for now I simply disconnected the coin-counter. No problem for me.

Next, when I set-up the options in the menu screens and turned off the game and back on again, the settings were back to default. Also, the saved hi-scores were gone.

The reason was simple: I hadn't read all the instructions correctly on Mike's site. All dip switches on my PCB were on, and Mike writes to turn them all off. With DIP-switch 3 you can enable or disable the settings menu. Once I corrected these settings it works fine. Mike explained that when you set DIP-sw 1,2,3,4 ON, it will clear the NVRAM on boot-up(in the unlikely case that the NVRAM data should get corrupted).

Now I could set-up everything. In the set-up you can select what controls your cab has. When you set it up for a regular Galaxian cab (2-way, 1 button) it will remove all the 4-way games from the list. That's nice so players won't get frustrated by any games they select that can't be played with a 2-way stick.

The games you are left with are of course all shooters (except Video Pool) but there are some real gems in the list.

A really interesting game in the 4-way "section" is Mr.Do's Nightmare. A game done by Mike's friend Ivan. It features Mario Bros. music ! :D

On some of the games things are fixed in software. F.I. Frog's music is corrected and colors corrected etc. This improves the games over the "original hacks".
Very well done and it shows that a kit like this is more work than you would first expect.

Here is the video as requested:
Galaxian Multi-Game kit by Macro's Arcade

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
Thanks for all these details. This add on is very interesting. It shows how the Galaxian hardware is capable of.
I've never play PISCES but after watching your great video, I want to give a try :P It looks very similar than Pleiads by the way  ::).
Guest what? I've used to play ... Video Pool  ;D