General Chat > All the rest

Kickstarter campaign - possibly something of interest!

(1/3) > >>

Retro Reflections:
Hello!

Apologies in advance for using the 'long time lurker, first time poster' line in order to promote something, but I thought this might appeal to a few people here; I'm getting ahead of myself though, so let me introduce myself properly first.

I'm a videogames industry veteran with 30 years of experience in graphics, design, project management and journalism, going all the way back to my first game on the VIC-20, via all manner of 8 and 16-bit computers, consoles and handhelds, numerous UK magazines, and a number of games on mobile up to the iPhone. However, my first love has always been arcade coin-ops, and as such I've been working on a visual guide book for a number of years.

Due to my health falling apart because of severe bilateral emphysema, the book's taken considerably longer than I'd have liked, but it's now finally complete and ready to launch; in order to achieve this, I've created a Kickstarter campaign to bring it to fruition. INSERT COIN - A VISUAL GUIDE TO THE GOLDEN AGE OF ARCADE VIDEOGAMES is an A4 hardback 211 page coffee-table artbook, featuring images rendered in high-resolution CG, through research scoured for years across the internet (including this fine forum). It's also the first in a planned ongoing series, each featuring fifty classic cabinets, their control panels, side art and marquees, along with other information such as components, dimensions, designers, development staff, and more.

The thinking behind this creation was that the games themselves have been preserved across multiple formats in perpetuity, but the actual machines themselves are, aside from the efforts of collectors, restorers and the like, dwindling rapidly in number, and their physical compositions deserved proper documentation in a real-world format, one that would likely appeal to the arcade community as well as tickling the nostalgia bone of everyday folk who fondly remember the occasional coin drop back in the dim and distant.

The campaign starts on Tuesday August 1st, and if you're interested, it can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retroreflections/insert-coin-a-visual-guide

I hope some of you might find such a book interesting, enjoyable, and useful enough to take a look, and FYI, the first 100 backers will receive a special edition print featuring unique cover effects and their name enshrined in print.

Anyway, I hope I haven't bored you all completely by now - thanks very much for taking the time to read all this, and of course, mods, if this is in violation of forum rules or just simply in the wrong place, please feel free to take the appropriate action.

All the very best,

Robert David Swan
Author/Illustrator, Retro Reflections

Andreas_AUT:
Hi Robert

good luck with the book, ill follow the project. Last book i have bought was the missile command book from Tony Temple.

If i were you, i would post that on ukvac and klov too.

Cheers
Andi

DarthNuno:
Hello Robert,

Welcome here, and good luck for this project that I'll follow of course.

:spaceace: :spaceace:

Retro Reflections:
*** THE KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN IS NOW LIVE! ***

Hello!

Just a quick update to let you all know that the Kickstarter for the book is now up and running, with several levels of rewards available:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retroreflections/insert-coin-a-visual-guide

Let me know what you think, and if you can help spread the word as far and wide as possible, that'd be truly appreciated.

All the very best,

Robert.

Retro Reflections:
Hello again!

Another quick update to let you know that the campaign is going fantastically well, and is already at over 20% of the way towards its target after only 2 days - not only that, but Kickstarter have selected it to be featured under their 'Projects We Love' banner, and promoted across their site:

"Congratulations! We?ve selected INSERT COIN: A VISUAL GUIDE as a ?Project We Love,? which is our way of highlighting brilliant examples of creativity. You?ll see a badge under your main image or project video, and we?ll feature your campaign across Kickstarter."

All the very best,

Robert.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version