Author Topic: Found an interesting Zaccaria pcb  (Read 5658 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Found an interesting Zaccaria pcb
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
A few weeks back, I spotted a pcb on ebay with a red Zacc serial number sticker and a Falcon logo on it.
My first thought was Crazy Kong, but this one was quite different from the well known versions.
The seller advertised it as a Scramble and sent me a Konami to jamma adapter also, but I was pretty sure, it will be something else.
Before I fired it up, I used romident and it turned out a Puckman/Hangly Man pcb. :D
I checked the pinouts and seemed like I can use my Crazy Kong adapter upside down.
Result:

There is no title on screen, just "Nittoh" which is the manufacturer of this board.
The maze is quite different from Pacman, there is a nice description on wikipedia with the other differences.
The major difference from the original Pac-Man game is that the first two boards and every even-numbered board after that are slightly altered versions of the original maze. The third board and every odd-numbered board after that are not mazes at all, but contain only the ghost house, the board's boundary outline, and the pills, arranged in straight vertical and horizontal lines. To access these levels, the player must eat four ghosts after eating a power pellet on level one. After that, every power pellet eaten turns the maze black until the power pellet wears off. And then the odd maze appears at level three. On these levels, in addition to the horizontal sideways left–right escape passage, there is also a vertical one connecting the top of the screen and the bottom, which the ghosts cannot enter. If the player moves Pac-Man to anywhere in this passage, and then pushes the joystick to the left or right and holds it; the Pac-Man will become stuck in that position, and the monsters cannot catch him, even if he is far enough out that they can touch him. But as releasing the joystick frees him, one cannot leave the game running with this method. Also, there are no walls anywhere in the maze, so Pac-Man can go anywhere, but the monsters are restricted by the walls depicted in the other levels.

The pcb looks like this, unfortunately the "wakawaka" and the "pacman death" sounds are missing, if anybody has any idea, which chip is responsible for these, please help. ;)

I'm pretty sure, this was the pcb, that Zaccaria used in dedicated Puckman cabs.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Found an interesting Zaccaria pcb
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
Cool ! i like this version of pacman

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »
Remember that thread we had with the Zaccaria serial numbers in it, Bela? Puckman came in at V122898. Your board appears to have a serial number of V132568, that would put it later than Puckman. Further, others with Puckman cab's say that it's wired for a standard DC Pacman PCB, not Falcon. Thus, I suspect this Falcon board was not a Puckman PCB originally but something that's been converted to Nittoh.

The closest serial number is Pac'n'Paint (V129xxx), that also runs on Pacman hardware, so maybe you have a Pac'n'Paint PCB?

Paul.

ZZZ

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
The eprom labels look like home made, they were surely exchanged and the pinout is very close to Pac & Paint, maybe you are right Paul. ;)
On the other side, my original Pac & Paint cab has a pcb marked Crush Roller and the edge connector is on the side, not in the front. ???

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
It could have been any of the Pacman based hardware games, really. Eye's is another possibility.
Paul.
ZZZ

CrazyKongFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's just a regular Falcon Puckman PCB. Note the "FPM" letters, which I assume means "Falcon PuckMan". FCK is Falcon Crazy Kong. I've got a couple of those types of boards that are converted to run Ms Pac-Man. One is an FPM-3, another is very similar, but isn't Falcon. And it's a direct plug-in to a Falcon pinout...mine works in my Crazy Kong cocktail (although the screen is upside down). Oh, and here's another thread with a Falcon FPM-3 running Hangly Man (although it says "Bonus Puckman at 10000", it has the Hangly Man maze, as seen in the youtube video posted later in the thread):

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=2979.10