Author Topic: FOR SALE - Williams Robotron/Joust/etc. NVRAM module PCB's  (Read 2492 times)

philmurr

• View Profile
FOR SALE - Williams Robotron/Joust/etc. NVRAM module PCB's
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
Hi all -

Not wanting to spend £20+ per module importing them from the US, I've designed a PCB for an NVRAM board for Williams Joust, Robotron, Sinistar, Splat, Bubbles, etc. (NOT Defender)

It uses the Dallas DS1220AD nonvolatile RAM (which have had a fair bit of bad press but are great to use, and will also work with the MK48Z02).  It has a jumper to select 2 sets of high scores and settings, and pads to connect the additional data lines for Bubbles which uses 8-bit RAM.  You'll also need a socket for the CPU board, socket for the NVRAM, PCB headers, a resistor, optional capacitor and a jumper.  Takes about 15 minutes to assemble.

I've a load of PCB's left over so selling them for £2.70 per PCB (plus postage from UK).

You can get the Dallas module on ebay for less than £10 so you should have a fully working module for much less than bringing one in from the US.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: FOR SALE - Williams Robotron/Joust/etc. NVRAM module PCB's
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »
Or you simply install a CR2032 battery....

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
Wish it was that easy. My Robotron keeps resetting the highscores after 10+ plays... :(

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

philmurr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
Wish it was that easy. My Robotron keeps resetting the highscores after 10+ plays... :(

Measure the voltage at the RAM (across pins 9 & 18) during the game and with the game powered off.

Usual suspects are power, battery, RAM or blocking diode

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »
May not have been too clear in my post, I'm not out here to bust this product....it's a great alternative and the price is excellent if installing a battery directly to the PCB isn't your thing :)

philmurr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:47:44 AM »
May not have been too clear in my post, I'm not out here to bust this product....it's a great alternative and the price is excellent if installing a battery directly to the PCB isn't your thing :)

No problem.  Just to add that this module will also survive the fitting of a switching PSU that often creates problems when used with Williams games.

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
I'm in for one. :)

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4