Author Topic: One of the rarest Nintendo arcade machines turns up.  (Read 22898 times)

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
One of the rarest Nintendo arcade machines turns up.
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »
Nintendo Sheriff 1979  by Shigeru Miyamoto

This game is the first to have a story driven plot where you take on the role of jack on his daily patrol of being sheriff.
His Fiancée is kidnapped by these gangs of villains which circle around jack trying to shot him.
Your aim is to kill the gangs and rescue Betty.
This is the first original game by Nintendo and has a unique control system with a 8 way joystick to control his movement and a pivoting switch or gas knob as I like to call it which controls his arm and if you push in will fire.
If you manage to shoot all the gangs on 3 levels you are greeted with a love scene where Betty and jack kiss and a big love heart appears on the screen and your score will double.
If you finish level 8 your score will multiply again X2
There are 9 levels in all & once completed its back to level one and it gets a little faster.

What attracted me to collecting this game was first I remember playing this as a kid in the arcade along with boot hill which also is a fantastic game but also the fact  you cant play this in mame due to its unique control system which meant you could only really play this if you had the dedicated machine. And  being a Nintendo collector and having collected game & watch for years This was a must have game for me.
Its the first game that the master of game design Shigeru Miyamoto worked on and the creator of all the game and watch characters also did the art work on the cabinet him self.
So for a fan of Shigeru Miyamoto and the game & watch series this really is grail cab for me.

I’ve been looking for this game for many years now and this year something unbelievable happened, Three turned up in the space of 6 months and i've managed to obtain two of the rarest Nintendo machines in the world.

First up a guy contacted me on my facebook page (Ninty Arcade) and  he said he has a sheriff & its been in his family for 25 years,where his dad had it in an ice rink but unfortunately it doesn’t  work now and even worse he didn’t want to sell to me.
Its  in the regular white top cocktail cabinet in which I already have 3 of, Space fever, space launcher and space Firebird and I had lots of spares. So I said let me come over and change the power supply and have ago at getting it going. Also I just wanted to see this game again so it was very exciting.
I Saw, i fixed  and I played this rare game it was fantastic, at last I got to play it again.

Then it wasn’t until early summer this year I got offered to buy the upright version from my good friend Bruno who runs the dragons lair forum (DLF).
I took a road trip to Luxembourg to where he lives 900miles there and back in two days to get my grail cab.
The upright is like space invaders where the image is projected onto a half mirror, When I was a kid I thought it was a magic box as I could never understand how they made the game look so deep inside.
As you can see the art work is the best i've seen on any Nintendo machine as it wraps round all 3 sides and gives the look of an old western saloon bar.
The characters at the bottom are the gangs chasing Betty and they were designed by the artist who created all the game and watch characters.
If you look closely at Betty on the  bezel  she has no mouth,  strange ?
In a line up of Nintendo machines this looks the best.

Then at the beginning of this week a good friend muddymusic contacted me about a sheriff that had appeared on ebay under the title (Rare retro sega arcade machine),
As soon as I looked at it I knew straight away what it was and I brought it with no hesitation.
This cab came up 5 years ago on ebay & I remember seeing it but never realised how rare it really was until I started my own Nintendo arcade collection.
Ever since then ive been looking out for it.
Its actually rarer than my upright and its a Japanese version.
Until now all we had to go on was a picture on a  flyer which is not very accurate because the picture of the sheriff upright is wrong as there is no speaker grill.
So when you compare the picture with the machine certain  things don’t add up.
Like the colour and the control panel and because they listed it as sega made me think this wasn’t a Nintendo machine.
But ive done my research and with the help from Erik Voskuil and Florent Gorges who have written books about the history of Nintendo & Before Mario all concur that in the early days before Nintendo really had there own arcade games they got Sega to distribute some of there early games.
So I travelled 5 hours to Lancashire from Twickenham London to pick up this cab I could not wait to see what it was, Sega or Nintendo.
I was blown away by how cool this machine looked, the control panel looks mint and the cabinet is in amazing condition for its age. Even though its got a built in ash try with some cigarettes left in it I don’t think this has ever been in  arcade its beautiful.
So inside its got an original Nintendo logic board and sound board just like my upright version but it looks like it been modified for this particular monitor which has NS and sega enterprise written on it.
On all my other cocktails Nintendo use sanyo so maybe if you have an early sega game you might be able to recognise it.
So there it is The cocktail as the Japanese like to call it or the cabertail as ive heard it been called also.
Nintendo didn’t  make them  they used Sega's already in production cabinets they used on games like Head on and Carnival and they let Nintendo put there own control panels on them and games inside and sega distributed them but only in this particular cabinet,.
Sega & Nintendo went onto to be the biggest rivals in video game history.
But they left a legacy of something they do well when they work together.
A well designed cabinet to place drinks on and cigarettes in, And a Cabinet you can play 2 player whilst standing up with out bending your back.

And a game that was the start for a young video game designer who went on to be the best in the world.

Thwocker

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Universal Arcade Cabs
Re: One of the rarest Nintendo arcade machines turns up.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
WOW, JUST WOW!!   :o

you rule   :spaceace:
Wanted: everything Universal , Stern and Gottlieb. Currently looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land and Speed Coin.

blackie63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
a very nice collection and those last two are certainly the business nice write up thanks and great pictures  8) ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
extremely cool catch, even for a cocktail :P. really nice collection of nintendo cabs you have there, now you need more space ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
This cocktail landed in the right hands! Congrats on this super rare catch + the condition is awesome!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »
Thats a cool catch !

Knaagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:47 PM »
Is it just me or are you into Nintendo?  :lol:
Both the upright and the table are games i´ve never seen or heard of before. Really cool!

"The only legitimate use of a computer is to play games" - Eugene Jarvis

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
Congratulations, such a nice "cocktail" - now you own the game in 3 different versions ;D :spaceace:
And now you need to expand so you can add even more Nintendos to your collection ;) :)

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »
Amazing. Words cannot describe how jealous I am. You are lucky!

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »
Great find Alex  :spaceace:

jibmums

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Great find, congratulations.  I used to play the hell out of the American version of this game, "Bandido", when I was a kid.  Couple of years ago I was practicing to beat the Twin Galaxies world record, which was about 150k, and managed to crank out a best high of 387k.

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »
Thanks guys
It's a unbelievable find and it lays to rest a lot of mystery with the picture on the flyer.
Also I can't believe in the same week someone has offered me a new CPO for my upright as mine was cracked
I am extremely lucky to have two rare cabs in super condition.
Here are some new pics with it all cleaned up.

Thanks for all your kinda words

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:06:39 AM by Chuckie egg »

kos71

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
thanks for sharing this . It is really interresting .

I am also very excited as tomorrow my mate bring me back my Bandido ;D

merry christmas to you and again thanks for the pictures of this nice cocktail

virtvic

• View Profile
    • The Ten Pence Arcade  Podcast Webpage
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »
Alex and I have been doing some detective work on this cab and we're still none the wiser to it's origins - just ultra rare, I think.

It's in really nice condition as well.  Looks brand new inside.
Listen to our podcast! www.tenpencearcade.co.uk